Help: Puch Magnum XK not getting to top speed

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

I just bought a Magnum XK and it only goes 20 MPH. It seems like there's plenty of potential of it going faster, but it's not pushing it.

Carb was taken apart and cleaned. Everything on it is nice and all parts are there and shining.

Any ideas where to look or what to do?

Thanks!

Gregory

Re: Help: Puch Magnum XK not getting to top speed

sounds like your being screwed by carbon in your exhaust, ports, head, and or piston

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

Bump. Any more ideas?

low compression?

how do you check for low compression?

with a compression tester

check your points/timing as well

How many miles on engine? Original E5o one speed? What do you weigh?

All have impact in addition to everyone else's ideas. XK had the Magnum frame (almost identical to it, except for one pretty useless design difference near the bottom where the engine bolts on) and, depending upon your weight, age/mileage of engine, other stuff previously mentioned, I have heard of those going 25mph or less. Gotta admit, the Magnum was a fairly heavy bike if everything was still on it.

Do what everyone else suggested first (get rid of carbon everywhere), invest in a new spark plug (just because) and try it again.

Heavier bikes are better for higher speeds and are more stable when a car passes you at 45mph.

I know the Vespas had some pretty light bikes except the Grande.

When you rev your engine up, is there no change in speed while your driving at 20mph?

It may be an improper jet or it may be your clutch is slipping when you give it the gas.

You have to give us more info and you have to do more tests.

Best of luck,

-Mk

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account