white smoke? well at least it works.

I finally got my maxi running! ... after replacing the carb, fuel line and throttle cable. Though I do worry about the white smoke coming out of the exhaust, I'm sure that's not a good thing... What does white smoke mean?

white smoke? well at least it works.

It means that you probably have a bunch of crap in your exhaust that needs to get burned out. Sometimes when I start a ped that's been sitting for many years it will belch white smoke for a while. I look like the Blue Angels driving around with all that smoke pouring out. It could also be that your ATF fluid is leaking in to your crankcase.

Re: white smoke? well at least it works.

if you cleaned your exhaust with engine dgreaser it will smoke white for about an hour and then go away.

- Summerai - Ben /

ah, ok, well there's certainly a bunch of crap in the exhaust. Someone put some steel wool inside of it in what looks like an attempt to make it quieter. But this steel wool is black with oil, which doesnt seem right... Though it is true that it hasn't been run regularly in many years. So I guess I should just ride it some more?

Cleats Onionpockets /

My Batavus made a huge cloud of white smoke when I got it running for the first time in 5 years. Made a thick trail of white smoke while running down the road. Now it's running nice and clean. Just run the ped around and the smoke should go away eventually. Though, if you are running with too heavy an oil mixture it can make a bit of smoke. Plus, there will always be a little white smoke when you first start up in the morning.

- Summerai - Ben /

hmm, I've never had a moped, so I didn't know. But I'm running 40-1

you can take the tailpipe off and heat it over a fire and blow some air through then douse it with water and shake the crud out. my GF's ped smoked alot for a while till it had ran about 3 miles. now with the right fuel mix the exhaust looks really clean.

Leon Swarmer /

we have a new Pope?

- Summerai - Ben /

does it matter if there's crap in the exhaust that makes it smoke if the ped runs good?

well gunk in the exhaust can make the holes in the baffles smaller and the pipe smaller and reduce flow at high rpms.

- Summerai - Ben /

I finally had a chance to see how fast my maxi goes. Seems like I get like 27 with the wind and 25 into it. It's a 2 hp 2 speed so from what I've read around here it should easily get up to 30. Someone seems to have taken a hammer and beaten the end of the pipe so that it's a smaller opening for the exhaust to come out. How do you think this effects performance? (I'm going to get a new exhaust anyway, just wondering)

I get the same thing with my Maxi-Luxe. Generally, it means there is a little too much oil in the fuel. But better to have too much oil than not enough, right?

- Summerai - Ben /

yeah I'd say so. I looked at my spark plug after I posted that and found out I was running to rich. I'm going to see what I can do about that tomorrow, but now I'm straying into performance so I guess I'll have to make a new post if I can't get my mixture right....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account