Ghetto Petcock?

Hellarad Johnnny Johnnny /

how would one fabricate a petcock for a 79 puch magnum out of some regular parts (i.e. hose clamps, gaskets,etc)?

Re: Ghetto Petcock?

a puch magnum deserves better than that dude. shell out $5 you cheapskate.

Ghetto Petcock?

Why not just buy one that actually works? I have one that is brand-new that I will ship to you for $15. I ordfered it, thinking it would fit a Pinto, but it doesn't so I have it sitting around.

well, the thing is I ordered one from mopedwearhouse (which I am starting to think may have been a huge mistake) and its taking forever. Hell, my moped was shipped faster then the petcock, so Im just looking for a temporary fix, something that'll get the job done for maybe a week or so.

there is no way to make an on off function without spending at least some cash. you can hook up a straight fuel line though.

take a cheapo balloon and cut it where it starts to widen. now you have about 3/4inch of length. put one end on the theading where the petcock goes and wrap a rubber band around it, take the other end and put it on your fuel line and wrap a rubber band around it.

it might leak a little because of the threads on the gas tank but it will work for now.

oh, im willing to spend some money on it to make it semi-legit. Im just starting to get all antsy with this hellofa sweet magnum just siting in my garage, begging to be ridden.

im not sure what its called but you can buy them at the hardware store. it is a petcock that goes in between 2 fuel lines. like a secondary petcock of sorts. use the balloon method to hook up the fuel line. then put on the secondary petcock.

the only way to attach a fuel line without threading a petcock in and not using a baloon like method is to peoxy the fuel line on to the tank. if you are getting a petcock soon you dont want to do that.

well, I think im just gonna make a more heavy duty version of the baloon method and do the mid-fuel line petcock idea for now.

hmm, maybe there is some way to thread a different petcock on there through the use of creative attachment.

i think if you use a thick rubber band and a hose clamp it would lessen the leaking.

look in the plumbing section of your local hardware store, they actually have small brass valves that will work perfectly fine, i used one on a friends moped that i fixed for him

Hey I was gonna say that CHAD !

Leon Swarmer /

This is what my Maxi came with.. haven't changed it yet

1160525229_puch_petcock.jpg

Ben Van Zoest /

Truly ghetto 50+ got no shame?

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

Harold is wrong, you can get automotive heater hose that will fit over the threads and a brass fitting for the other end to step the hose down to fuel line size.

Dean is wrong, a condom works best and get extra lubricated to help lubricate your engine.

ᴛᴇʀʀʏ ᴅᴇᴀɴ /

haha shut it! I didn't mean to sound dickish there.. I just meant that a balloon wasn't the only way to ghetto rig something up. And only you would put a condom on your moped, Joey.. oh, and Chicago. But Isaac helped him with that.

a used condom no less!

My friend went to the local Lowes and found what he needed in the plumbing section.. They have a bunch of different petcocks.

so, what size should the petcock be (how big is the threaded part on the actuall gas tank)

yo john why dont you just wait for the petcock to come. You should order from 1977mopeds.com next time.

I ordered a forklock side stickers and a few jets and Its been atleast 3months.

float, anyone?

yeah, I learned about that after the fact. they really shouldnt advertise what they dont have, because having this perfectly working moped crippled by incompetence is lame.

Lawnmower shops all have a generic on/off rotary valve 1/4 in 1/4 out ID Works great Use them for years . You can also go to a boat shop they use them for outboards - same story . Oh about 5-6 bucks

Problem fixed, Order has been canceled. Sorry for the incompetence however if you had bothered to look on the site you would have seen that the valve was out of stock when you ordered it on October 1st. Then I emailed you telling you the valve was out but expected shortly and asked if it was acceptable to charge your credit card when the valve came in and ship at that time. (Should have been like so many shops and just charged you then and there). I suggest either buying Brians valve. or this one http://www.1977mopeds.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=177

Chris MWH

www.mopedshop.com

incompetence is a strong word, and I porbably shouldnt of used it, so sorry. It wasnt your guy's fault, and thats really cool that you didnt charge me on the spot, Im glad some people still have morals. no hard feelings or anything.

okay, so I bought that 1/4 in 1/4 out valve, doesnt fit! this has to be some sort of metric fitting, so what is it?

yo man just be patient for the actual petcock to come. you need to buy a fuel hose thats fits around the threads of the tank and hose clamp it on.

Hmm, well I ordered one, but probably for this weekend im just gonna hook up a janky hose one

Hey John , kinda forgot to tell you how to do it . Here's what I do. The elbow is nylon , You're only interested in the ID of the large end I think it was 3/8 and I drilled out to slightly under the size of the tank nipple fitting. Once drilled I just screwed it on allowing it to cut its own threads. Obviously from here you go to the inline filter and mower petcock. You can also use a PVC 1/2 inch cap with a threaded endcap - email me for details . I never use the original petcocks on my peds . If you want metal It's easier to just either silver solder a right-angle hose barb fitting and go from there or drill and pipe tap for a right angle brass threaded barbed fitting either way works great(no it doesn't ever leak) If you go the threaded route it's removable for cleaning. I once went on a 50 mile ride and the frickin petcock started leaking - the more you played with it the more it leaked and as you found out special ordering is a pain for a 35 year old part. Email me directly for part numbers and where I got them. I'll also show you how I get away without the reserve ! Basically a visible fuel level indicator.

1160717136_dsc03264.jpg

well, Ive decided that running a larger hose into a hose valve/replacement petcock and then out to the fuel line, connecting it all with wire ties. Hopefully, the petcock I just ordered will come before my janky rig explodes.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account