E50 help

OK, finally replaced the broken head stud. I am back to even on getting the stupid Puch running right. Here is what it does. It idles perfect, but no power at all, will not pull me for squat. It smokes a little too. I have replaced the plug, new stator, cond. points, new petcock. I really am just at a loss. Could it be the exhaust is packed?

Re: E50 help

See Ya Moped Army /

Yes. Remove the baffle from the exhaust and clean it thoroughly. The holes in the baffle are most likely plugged with carbon deposits. Also, make sure the header pipe is clear of grime and deposits. If there are restrictors in the header pipe, drill them out.

yep read the article on how to do that. it actually helps. use carbcleaner or superclean

Ok, where is that article, did a search could not find it.

The articles are under "resources" at the top of the page. I assume he's talking about Fred's Guide. Click on that and scroll down until you see "muffler clogged with carbon."

n actually im talking about De-restricting a Puch Maxi it under articles it helps your speed.

OK, I read both of those articles.First my header has way more holes in it than the De-restricting article. Second, how do I get the plastic baffles out of the pipe? That seem like they are really stuck in there. Thanks for the help so far.

ahah its actually is metal take a broom handle and slide the hole muffler onto it then just slam it down. the baffle is going to come up

See Ya Moped Army /

Plastic baffles in the pipe? I don't think so.

heheh, now that I think of it.

Yah, those baffles can be tough. After ruining several brooms, I bought a 5-foot length of fat re-rod and ground the end down to be rounded and blunt. Works great.

As for de-restricting, those two restrictors look the same as all the other holes at a glance, but they aren't just holes. They're tubes that go through the pipe and block the flow of exhaust. Not all pipes have them, but they're pretty easy to find if you look closely.

OK, did the fire pit last night. There were no tubes in the header, but a bunch of holes, and a bunch in the baffle. Still ran the same, no change. No power, idles good, smokes a little. What next?

if, it's not pulling you and it Has HIGH RPMs, it Could be the Clutch :(

It bogs down, not really High RPM's. as far as I can tell anyway.

What else could it be, I'm dying here. So far I have done this:

New petcock

new stator

condenser

cleaned the muffler

check the rings, piston, etc...

new carb in working order

so I am just at a loss. It idles great, but when I put gas to it it takes a while to speed up. When I ride it it dose not have enough power to pull me up any hill, or barely on flat. Kinda like it bogs down. Wish I had that damn book from fingers now, this is just killing me.

I am one step from taking the 357 out for some target practice.

See Ya Moped Army /

Do a compression check with a compression gauge, not your finger.

Yeah, sounds like you have a compression leak somewhere,How? did you check your rings? did you measure the ring Gap inside the cylinder?

Well, I got the ped on the word that the motor was rebuilt and all good. I guess it was not. I will try to get a compression gauge this weekend. This is a junker ped, I will not put much more time or $ into the damn thing. I will part out or just beat the shit out of it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account