please help asap motobecane decompression cable

I'm probably going to buy a motobecane from someone but it needs mirrors and a decompression cable, didn't want a fixer upper but I think I'm getting a deal on it. I am not moped savy and have no idea how to put in a decompression cable as I've never seen a moped up close (embarrassed). Any knowledge and advice in layman's terms as what cable I should buy and how to install it? Thanks in advance

Re: please help asap motobecane decompression cabl

lack of mirrors hardly make it a fixer upper. lol

a decomp cable shoud be a very easy fix, if youre getting a deal on it, i say go for it!

please help asap motobecane decompression cable

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Please post a picture. How much are you paying? It may or may not be a good deal. There are riders here who can help you. Jim

Just get a bike cable set at wal-mart for $5

those work great for de-compressors, and you will have some extras for brakes, or throtles

It's very easy, there's a nut that pinches it on the handlebar end, and the barrel on the end of the cable slides into a catch on the other. It'll be very obvious once you see it.

So yah, hardly a fixer-upper if that's all it needs.

Thanks everyone, i figured it would be obvious if I just saw it. Yeah your right it really isn't a fixer, just referring to it as I wanted one ready to go. I'm getting it for $175. Compared to other ones it seems like a deal, but I wouldn't know for sure because im a noob with em. I'm told the pictures don't do it justice. It's from 1976 but don't know if its a mobylette or what. If I got it I wouldnt be able to ride it very long with the cold weather though....damn new england!!

by the way Colin is also my brothers name, and spelt with only one L too

1160096088_cul6tlrxnbwbyl8j3esz7msivjnf.jpg

Aww dammit! The guy sold it behind my back.. What's good ways in finding cheap mopeds that arn't too far away?

Leon Swarmer /

It may not be a curse Mandie, Motos can be tricky to get dialed in. and "just needs a decomp cable" can cover serious trouble.

local papers, craiglist e bay post a WTB on the buy sell forum, read the for sale column in MRA. It may take a lot of patience ( unlesss you move to Jersey where they aparently fall from trees) Find other pedders in your area and bug them. Puch and tomos have wide followings and parts are more readily available. Hondas are mostly no peds, but there are bunches and are well made.

Leon

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

mobys are trickier but they offer a much smoother, more comfortable ride

Don't let people scare you away from a Motobecane because they are "tricky." It may be a little different if you are used to Puchs but it is still just a moped. It isn't the space station.

The benefits of a Motobecane (smooth ride, powerful stock variated engine, all around sexiness) far outweigh the slight increase in complexity.

I just fixed one up for my girlfriend and it makes me fell bad about having to ride my Puch. It is awesome.

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

yeah I almost feel bad abut giving my girlfriend a puch while I have a moby. whenever we go on rides in the santa cruz mountains she has to pedal alot more

Just a note, if it runs and you are strong enough you can start it without decompressor....I only use mine to stop the engine! Mirrors can be found at a bike or motorcycle shop. Good luck!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account