MOTOBECANE this is an easy one, I'm sure

Alexander Orange Moby Syndicate /

As discussed in https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/61973/61973/ , I'm having some trouble with my wheel. I need to get a part off to get to the bearings, and I can't figure it out after consulting the manual. Here is a picture of the offending part.

1159669446_picture3.jpg

Re: MOTOBECANE this is an easy one, I'm sure

Without the highlighting, in case it's obscuring anything important

1159669535_picture_003.jpg

And the other side, for good measure. MAN look at those bearings! They need serious replacing STAT!

THis is the rear wheel, BTW.

-Alexander

oops forgot the pic

1159688485_picture_001.jpg

The offending part looks like the brake plate spacer . Tap out the visible bearing carefully and evenly , then the internal spacer falls out then you can theoretically tap out the last bearing . BUT WAIT I am confused however . The brake spacer should rotate separately from the hub and ride against the bearing. Can you rotate the offending part???? If so then it would appear the brakeplate spacer is stuck to the bearing(grease ?? ) . Removing the visible bearing is the first step .Once it's out it should be rather obvious how the last bearing should be pressed out by the shoulder.

I'll start by saying I've not worked on that type wheel, but in the last picture it looks like the bearing is rtained by a ring that can be removed with a spanner type wrench, with two prongs that engage the notches that 180 degrees apart. Large snap-ring pliers can sometimes work, or sometiomes you can use a screwdriver in one of the notches and tap around on a circle to loosen the ring, but this can also damage the ring if it's on too tight.

ಠ_ಠ Jon Folks ಠ_ಠ /

You know , if that spacer rotates then I bet its attatched to the bearing via grease or it has an oversized bearing ID and the spacer has a sleeved shoulder which fits inside the bearing. In either case it still gets tapped out from the inside with the spacer attatched to the bearing. Still have to remove the other bearing first though

Your wheel is newer than mine are. I have the spoked versions.

The retainer for the smaller of the two bearings screws into the wheel. You turn it counterclockwise to unscrew it. I think is is probably stuck due to corrosion. A heatgun will help you to remove it. It gets the liquid wrench into the threads and expands the aluminum to loosen the fit.

Sketch attached.

- Tim B.

1159811311_wheel_bearing_retainer.jpg

I made this. The bolts sheared off. I'm at wit's end, this bike is my only way to get around!

This sucks.

1159933916_tool.jpg

The retainer with the 2 holes should not be removed, it keeps the freewheel parts together.

The freewheel hub has 2 slots in it, this is where you engage it and remove the freewheel in order to access the bearing.

Alexander I emailed you more detail.

RB

Okay, so I'm an idiot.

The whole locknut, slotted thing versus dimpled thing question was a red herring.

I just tapped the bearings out with a mallet and a screwdriver. Nothing was 'locking' them in there but old grease.

The best part is, I've been staring at this wheel, trying different things for a couple of weeks now. Oh well, hope to be back on the road by saturday!

-Alexander

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account