Cracked lower subframe on a '99 kinetic

I just picked up '99 Kinetic moped for $75. The lower subframe is cracked on both sides in the middle just behind the carb.

My question is - Are these cracked subframes a common problem with this ped? The ped has over 6000 miles on it, so it's possible someone rode it harder than its designed to during that time. Welding it shouldn't be a problem.

Other wise this thing runs great.. It even has a performance exhaust that is worth what I paid for the whole ped.

I even managed to hit 40mph once and I think it still had a little bit left in it.

Chas

Re: Cracked lower subframe on a '99 kinetic

I have a subframe Ill sell you. Its in good shape...a little gold spray paint here and there, but structurally sound.

e-mail sent.

Was this the one on Craigslist, DC? $75 is a STEAL.

YEP! That was the one. AND I welded the lower subframe tonight too. It rides so much better now. I can acutally take my hands off the handle bars and it tracks straight. I'll try to get a pic of it in a day or two.\

I never thought I would get it too. I just threw the $75 offer out there for the hell of it. I was also bidding on a puch on ebay at the same time. Thank god I lost that auction.

So far the only problem with it is a short in the electrical system. When I turn on the turn signals the headlight goes out.

Also, their is a vibration at the back wheel when the wheel spins. I'm hoping the rear gear box at the wheel isn't bad. The oil in it was sorta grayish in color so I drained it and put some fresh gear oil in.

I just sold my walk behind mower tonight too, so now I can fit all 3 peds in the shed now. :)

Chas

Dude if you weren't in Maryland I would swear that you have my old kinetic, minus the frame cracking. My rear wheel would make a droning sound (kind of a wwoouuww wwoouuww wwoouuww sound, like a spaceship in a movie) at top speed that made me wince because I thought parts were going to come apart and hit me in the face.I took the rear wheel off and apart (a real bitch) and the actual hub on the wheel was all tore up from I dont know what. My rear wheel would piss out gray gear lube all over the place too. I could re-trace my tracks by following the oil drips.

Was the Kinetic Blue??? :)

Mine doesn't sound like a spaceship or anything, but it does vibrate.

Maybe my g-friend would like it? ;)

Chas

nope, it was red and in MI. About your girlfriend liking it--read my profile.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account