Honda Express bogs wot, electrical issues.

George /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hey everyone. I'm new to all this so please be understanding, ha.

Finally came across a moped in the otherwise moped-starved deep south, a 78' Honda Express, all stock. It was leaking gas (overflow from the carb) and stalling out periodically, but after I cleaned out the carb it ran consistently topping around 29mph. So I'm pretty pleased.

The first issue I'm curious about is a loss of performance at WOT. I'm not sure what the right term is to describe the issue; noise goes from a consistent hum to a rhythmic putting. When that happens the speed drops to closer to 20. This is all approximate, as the speedometer's dead; I rode alongside my girlfriend's scooter to get a gauge on the max.

Some issues I think might be playing into it: One, the air filter housing is cracked in such a way that it might be leaking past the element. I'll try sealing that up tomorrow to see if it helps, but otherwise I'm looking for another stock housing. There's no in-line filter, but I'll be picking one up tomorrow. There's some rust in the tank, which I'm pretty sure was why the carb was plugged when I bought it. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

- George

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account