random NO spark PUCH MAXI! ;_;

what can cause that? i know im being general, but the 1977 Puch Maxi worked fine and now it has no spark, i checked the wiring and everything seems to be attached. what happened before the no spark was this: i was at a freinds house and it worked fine, then i let it sit for a while and put more gas in it. after that, it wouldnt start. i figured that i had too much oil in the mixture and got a ride home from my dad. later that night i added more gas and cleaned the plug then it worked fine. then i went to school on it the next day. then after school i couldnt start it so i had to pedal it home. ater that night i noticed it was touchy to start it up. i had to pull the brakes slightly pull the decompression lever and also switch the light on and off for it to start. now it wont start. what could be the issue? wiring or a coil problem? magneto maybe? condenser? the points are clean.

1158355466_my_1977_puch_maxi_ii_2.jpg

Re: random NO spark PUCH MAXI! ;_;

...fould plug?

tryed a different plug, no luck

Check all the wires around headlight and horn some of the older puchs wont work if the circuit is broken.

Leon Swarmer /

I'm wondering about your headlight switch. It shouldn't have made a difference.. and BTW I've not seen a decompression lever on a Puch, Clutch yes, decompression, no. But I've heard of some peds that have both..

everything works, headlight breaklight rear light and speedo light when i try and turn over the engine. the horn never worked though and when i pressed it it acted as the kill switch

i just tryed turning over the engine and i see that the rear light doesnt turn on but the brake lights do when i press the brakes, other than that, all lights work.

Guy pull the wires off the horn and tape them together see if the horn is bad

ok, i soldered the blue wire to the horn and the maxi gets plenty of spark now, buttttttttttt now the horn is always on! i checked the horn switch on the handle and the wires are where they are spose to be. also there seems to be an extra blue wire hanging. im not sure how the wires are spose to be on the horn. here is the horn from the right side. also i replaced the rear light bulb because it was broken.

1158432476_dscf0003.jpg

left side

1158432628_dscf0001.jpg

The ignition coil on my puch engine is grounded through the blue-with-a-black-stripe wire. The blue-black wire runs from the magneto to one side of the horn. Then it continues on to the horn button. The other side of the horn is grounded with a brown wire as is the other side of the horn button.

The horn button (in the un-pressed position) provides a short across the horn to keep it quiet. In this un-pressed position, the ignition coil is getting ground through the un-pressed horn button.

When you press the horn button, you open the contacts in the horn button that is shorting out the horn. Now the ignition coil gets its ground through the horn and the horn uses a small share of the ignition coil power to start "buzzing."

It sounds like your re-wiring ran the blue-with-a-black stipe wire to the horn, without the horn button in the circuit so it cannot short across the horn. Check the blue-black wire from the horn to the horn button. It's connected from the magneto to the horn but not on to the horn button. If that's not the problem, check the brown wire from the horn button to ground. If it's properly grounded, your horn button is staying pressed somehow so it never shorts across the horn.

If you want to fix the problem and don't care if the horn works or not, just short across the horn terminals. You will be doing the job the horn button is failing to do.

how do i "ground" the wires?

The metal of your the frame is ground. All electric circuits require two wires. Car and moped manufaturers save money by making the second wire the frame of your car or moped. Your car battery (for example) has one wire (the negative lead) connected to the frame of your car. They run only one wire from the posative lead of the battery to a light, and at the light, they "ground" one of the bulb connections. The second wire the bulb needs is the frame of the car. It saves money over running two wires everywhere.

By-the-way, I re-read your post of 09-16-06 at 14:47 and the dangling blue wire is your problem. That is if it's dangling in the area of the horn.

If you look at the blue wire, it has a black stripe. It should be connected to the horn where the other blue-black wire is connected.

i tryed it with the spare wire attached but still the horn blares constantly. how would i wire it without the horn? i never use the horn anyways lol.

Put a wire connected across the horn. The horn should stop and the engine will run.

Putting a permanent wire across the horn is not easy. An easy way would be to ground the blue-black wire in the connecting block just above the engine. It's a plastic connecting block with screw clamps that hold wire connections together.

Follow the procedure at mopedriders.org in the Puch 1980-1981 Service Manual. Go to page 113 and follow step 3d.

You will remove the blue-black wire that comes from the magneto out of the connecting block. Then you will put it in with the green-black wire. That wire is grounded with a brown wire to the frame.

thanks alot dave for all of this great info, you helped alot! ill update progress tomarrow~

ok, now i rewired the two blue and brown wires all together, now the front light wont turn on. when i switch the light switch it flickers on sometimes but it isnt a steady light. also i lost about 5mph top speed.

the top speed thing might be because of my mixture lol. but now since my horn isnt the killswitch now, and my run/off (engine stop) switch is broken all i can use to turn off the motor now is the decompression lever. does it hurt the engine or anything if i use that to turn it off? the front light is still doesnt turn on also.

How old is older?? My '80 has broken wires all over it and it still runs. No tail lights & sometimes the headlight will work for a second. :)

Chas

Changing just the blue-black wire in the connecting block above the engine has no effect on the headlight or on the top speed.

Where did you make wiring changes (connecting block or behind horn) and exactly what did you change?

ok, i found out a wire was loose in the light switch case lol, all lights work now, i just need to replace the rear light bulb and ill be set! thanks alot dave! and does that hurt the engine if i use the decompression lever to turn the 'ped off?

It's not a decompression lever on a Puch. It's a start lever.

The start lever is connecting the engine to the rear wheels. If you have the rear wheels stopped, you will stop the engine. I guess it wears out the start clutch. Don't do it with the engine at high RPM.

You might try pressing down on the choke lever on the carburetor. Choking the engine when it's hot might stop the engine with less stress on the start clutch.

You might also consider repairing the switch that is supposed to stop the engine. Actually, any on-off switch will work. Install it anywhere and run one wire to ground (all the brown wires are ground wires) and the other to the blue wire (not the blue-black) in that plastic junction block just above the engine. When you flip the switch to the "on" position, you will ground the engine ignition and stop the engine. When the run-off switch on the handlebar is moved to "off" it is actually MAKING (closing, shorting) a connection from ground to the blue wire to ground out the ignition.

yea i just need a temporary killswitch till i recieve the new one. im gonna try the choke idea. thanks again~

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account