Muratic Acid/Rusty gas tanks

Yes, I did the search, I know the answers are there but damn it, after several searchs I cannot find the recipe.

Got me a gallon of muratic acid to clean a couple gas tanks, One on my Sachs (thick steel)and one on my Puch (thin steel).

I know all the dangers of using it cause I was trained in the Navy in the late 1950's to derust/degrease arresting gear cable on aircraft carriers.

My problem is, my memory is not clear, what is the proper mixture for the acid and the neuturalizing agent which is baking soda?

Re: Muratic Acid/Rusty gas tanks

Jason Luther /

i use about 2:1 acid to water. and then to neutralize it mix in baking soda until it stops fizzing

Thanks Jason, just what I needed.

How long do I leave the acid mixture in the tank? its mildly rusted. Forgot to ask in first post.

Jason Luther /

the 2:1 is not too aggressive, so maybe a few hours. the tanks i have done were really bad and it took about 8 hours. just check it every couple hours. if the tank is removable, once the acid is neutralized put a handfull of small screws or something in there mixed with gas or mineral spirits and shake it good to help blast off any remaining gunk. i have never totally stripped the inside of a tank with acid since i was afraid to leave it in there too long. also i just refilled the gallon acid bottle with the mix and have used it several times.

i leave it in for 24 hours.

1 part acid to 3 parts water.

Thanks everybody for the great information.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account