Still having problems with a Puch Newport

Motobecane Master /

Just picked up my new jets and carb top gaskets from the post office! I'll post results in a few hours!

Re: Still having problems with a Puch Newport

cool let us know for sure OK this is like waiting for xmas

Motobecane Master /

It's still not running right. The bogging was fixed by the bigger jet (size 64) but it's still only going 20mph tops. Maybe I should try an even larger jet?

I've never checked point gaps before but at this point I'm willing to try. Anyone have any advice?

Other than that I'm completely out of ideas.

A couple ideas: One, I'd guess that by going from a 54 to a 64, you've gone from a too-small jet to a too-big one, and that could be causing your speed problems. I have a 64 on my Newport, but that's with a high-flow filter and a biturbo, you might do well with something like a 60.

Two, check for air leaks where the carb clamps onto the intake. Mine has a leak in the little cutout at the top of the carb, right where it says "bing." It's been a constant headache for me, still haven't figured out a good solution. Spray some carb cleaner around there and see if it makes your engine die. If it does, you've got an air leak.

see how it runs without the air filter. i wouldn't ride to much with no filter, just see if it helps. If it helps you could drill a bunch of holes in your airbox and wrap it in pantyhose for a cheap way to get more air.

-bryan

Ben Van Zoest /

He said he 'cleaned muffler and pipe' my two cents...

Ben Van Zoest /

Fixing the intake manifold/ carburator mating airleak how is the question...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account