Broken Screw Stud when installing muffler

Grreat...

I've been waiting for a new muffler for like 3 weeks. I put it on, and the stud screw breaks into two...better yet, it's so small I don't know if I can use a screw remover...

When installing a biturbo onto a 77 puch, do I need a new gasket? I don't believe there was a gasket when i removed my stock muffler....

Any ideas on how to remove this stud screw?

Re: Broken Screw Stud when installing muffler

Drill it out completely.... or get a set of easy outs... drill a small bit about __ that far (maybe less) into it and use an EASY Out (or a reverse threaded screw remover) to turn it out...

Yes use a gasket. Unless you want leaks?

Re: Broken Screw Stud when installing muffler

Drill it out with a left hand drill bit that is smaller than the bolt. Many times you get the drill started and the bolt backs right out. Don't even mess with easy outs. Waste of time buy the drill for $5 at a hardware store, industrial supply(MSC) or amybe even a speed shop.

too late...

I started using the easy out and it sucked. I couldn't get anything out... I got most of the bolt out, but now I can't tell if the treads are still good from the original stud holder (i don't know what else to call it). The screw will not come out....

What do people think about forcefully drilling a new stud? I could tap it...but I don't think it would fit correctly after doing that. The reason I think drilling the stud directly into the holder is because the remaining screw is in a cone shape... I think that if I get it in there, it would hold better than the risk of destroying the stud holder completely....

oh this sucks so much. i don't want to have to but a new head...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account