Petcock Diagram

My new petcock won't open. It won't let gas through and I was wondering if anyone had a diagram of the innerstructure of a Puch petcock. Any pics would help. THanks Sam

Re: Petcock Diagram

Ben Van Zoest /

Within the petcock is a fiber washer w/ 3 holes for on/off/res

unscrew the curled ring and look inside it should correspond with the grooves on the handle. the washer is located by means of mating groove and ridge. Warning it's a tricky job can't you get a replacement from your supplier? Never seen a drawing, sorry.

The ones I have seen generally work like this: In the valve body there are three holes - one for the regular tank feed at 3;00, one for reserve feed at 9:00, and the hole to the outlet pipe at 6:00. The flat face of the lever part of the valve has a groove that goes halfway around the face in a semi-circle.

In the ON position, the groove runs from 12:00 to 6:00, connecting the regular feed hole and the outlet hole. In RESERVE the groove runs from 3:00 to 9:00 connecting the regular, outlet and reserve feed holes. In the OFF position, the groove runs from 9:00 to 3:00, connecting the reserve and regular feeds, but not the outlet.

There are variations on this, depending on a particular valve's positions for on/off/reserve, but you get the idea.

You can make a new gasket for a petcock if you want to keep the stock one for some reason, but it's a pain in the butt cutting it to size and punching out the three holes in the right places. Easier to get a replacement.

It's probably plugged inside, they are not that complicated, if you watch how you take them apart. I just had to do mine. it was full of gummed up tar looking stuff from setting so long. I soaked it in carb cleaner, and kept blowing it out with my air hose. finally got it clean. good luck

Ben Van Zoest /

Brand new petcock he said, may assemble wrong?

I got it figured out. The gasket was slightly rotated and out of place. Thanks for all of your input fellas. Sam

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account