solex ID

I have just aquired a solex 3800 from a friend of mine,I believe it to be a 1960 from the pictures I have seen in the photo gallery but I really want to make sure it is so I can restore it to original condition.Right now the motor is seized up but having all-most 15 years of equipment repair experience I'm not to concerned and am looking forward to the project but would like some feedback and advice.Thanks, Hypercool

Re: solex ID

How do, the 3800 was intro'd May 1966 starting with engine no. 3800001. The engine no. is down on the crankcase casting, back of the engine, just in front of the fork stem. The frame no. if it has one is usually on the top of the frame tube just behind where it is welded to the fork stem. Check out all the Les Amis du VeloSolex stuff on the NACC sight, i get there by searching on autocycle and it's usually the first sight up, you can check out the production charts for all of Solex output that they have put together, plus pantloads of other stuff for these bikes, i have a pile of them and i love the little guys, good luck with yours, there are some wicked knowledgeable Solex folks in the Army here, Ed

Congratulations on your Solex! What Ed says is true, the 3800 came out in 1966. But you may have a hard time looking up your serial numbers. There are no records for the Solexes sold in America, Canada and most other export countries. The charts on the French sites are for the bikes sold in France for the most part. Most of the 3800 Solexes sold here have serial numbers that begin with a 5 and if you look that up on a French chart, it will tell you that you have a Micron. Also, Solexes like the 4600 were never even sold in France even though they were manufactured there. They have virtually no information on the 4600 over there. I have been keeping track of the Solexes sold here and can tell you the date of manufacture by knowing either the seven digit motor serial number or frame number that Ed mentions. A picture would be helpful also.

Don't be fooled by the 14-3-1966 date that may be cast into the top of the motor. It is not the date of manufacture, but the date that the motor type was presented for approval, (date of homologation).

Please get back to me with the serial numbers and a photo if possible and I'll tell you everything I can about your particular Solex. And don't hesitate to ask any questions that you might have.

Solexly, Brian

ps the dates on many of the photos of Solexes in the photo section are incorrect. For the reasons mentioned above, many people have a hard time telling exactly what they have.

Ya know i was always curious about the Micron listings on the prod. charts and that all my 3800s seemed to have been made in 1969, to much of a coincidence? Do you think that the frame nos. are reliable at all for dating the little guys? My 2200 and 3300 don't have frame nos. that i have ever found, i assumed the engine no. told the tale. live and learn huh, thanks very much for the info Brian, good luck to us all, Ed

Brian, listen to Brian, he knows from which he speaks on all things Solex, these are great little machines with the heart of a lion, for what it's worth most of the effort on mine has been getting the inside of the wheels derusted and painted before the new tubes and tires go on, other than that if the ignition timing is spot on they run like bears, good luck, keep us posted, Ed

Ed, Thanks for the kind words. The 3300 didn't usually have frame numbers. The 2200's I believe might be down by the centerstand someplace, but I don't have much info on the 2200 frame numbers. If you can give me seven digit motor serial numbers for your 3300 and 2200, or any other Solexes, I can give you accurate dates.

Here is a page that I translated about the Micron that you might enjoy: http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/Micron/Micronen.asp You'll see that they also used motors in the 5 xxx xxx range just like most of the 3800s that were sold over here, and this is very confusing for people trying to determine the model and date of manufacture.

If anybody needs instructions for setting the timing like Ed mentions, just let me know.

Solexly, BrianSolex

Thanks for the offer Brian, as soon as i get my list together i'll take you up on that cause, as you say, the lists i have are somewhat confusing and/or contradictory, although the 1997 Frank Meneret engine no. chart seems pretty straightforward thru Jan. 1969. i've used that chart to date my 2 45cc 3bolt engines, 276383 and 298102, to approx. Apr. and July, 1953. What do you think?

Yes, that's correct for those two serial numbers. I met Franck Meneret, the "living encyclopedia of Solex" when I was in France in June for the huge 60 Years of the VeloSolex event.

photos: http://cyclo60.myouebe.ent/album/Beauvais2006

Very nice guy. We stayed together with other special guests in a beautiful Chateau that was rented for us.

The French charts like Franck's will generally work for bikes sold here before 1967. Here is a chart that I worked on that you might enjoy, as well as the rest of the site: http://www.weronika.freeserve.co.uk/engine-numbers.html It's not 100% accurate, but it's probably the closest to it. I look forward to getting your list of confusing serial numbers and letting you know what you've got.

Solexly, BrianSolex

Ooopps, here's the link for the Beauvais photos:

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/album/Beauvais2006

Brian this is Brian,I still haven't gotten the info on what you believe my solex's year is.So if you would be so kind as to send it to my E-mail iwould be greatful.Thanks

Hi Brian,

To help you determine what year your Solex is, I will need the seven digit motor serial number that is stamped into the top, rear of the motor, as far back on the motor as you can go, right near the steering tube. You may have to clean the area and use a flashlight to see it. If there is a seven digit frame serial number stamped into the right side of the frame near the weld joining the main downtube to the steering tube, I would like that also. And of course a photo of the bike would help if possible. I have emailed this info to you also.

How do Brian, please excuse the delay in responding but have been working very late last few days, thanks very much for the charts you sent along, very cool stuff, and i will send along the list of my stuff shortly, good luck to us all, Ed

This second sight is wicked cool, the weronika one is one i stumbled across on the Dutch sight some time back and used to modify my date list, their tech section is very useful, my bikes are as follows, with the years as i have so far figured for them. 1969 3800,s/n 8062325, eng. no. 5325812; 1969 3800,s/n 8064354, eng.no. 5298836; 1969 3800, s/n 8014311, eng. no. 5275948; 1965 3300 (70mm back brake), eng. no.3575407; 1963 2200, eng. no. 2982709; 1975 4600(v2) s/n 8082199, eng. no. 7210863; 1977 4600(v3), s/n 4602787, eng. no. 9032257,( this one has the 1977 on the tag). The big Solex hoedowns must have been a hoot and then some! Thanks a ton, Edl

Hi Ed,

The only ones you've got wrong are the 3800s, which is quite understandable as these have the 5xxxxxx serial numbers. Motor numbers 5325812 and 5298836 are from 1974 and are approximately equal to a French 3800 with a 4 9xxxxx number. Motor number 5275948 is from 1971 and is approximately equal to a French 3800 with a 474xxxx number.

You should plan on coming to the Bastille Day VeloSolex Rendezvous next year here in NYC.

Here's an article I posted recently. It is a road test of a 1967 3800 in a 1973 motorcycling magazine:

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/Divers/Solex3800_Road-test.pdf

Here's a newsletter with an article I wrote about the 2005 Bastille Day event:

http://cyclo60.myouebe.net/VideosAudios/SolexNewsletteremail.pdf You'll also see my winning of the Oldest Solex in the USA contest.

Have a great day!

Solexly, Brian

Hi Brian, thanks very much for the info on my 3800s, will update my page accordingly. The articles are excellent, Jeff at velocruz had sent me the newsletter about Bastille day festivities, didn't realize that was your 45cc, what a machine! There's a 3300 on ebay in Lindenhurst as we speak, might go for it if i can find room, sure would be sweet to find a proper swan neck frame to hang one of my 45's on although an approximate replica of a prototype is more likely. Bastille Day must be a wicked good time, tough for me to get the time during high season though, ride well and often, good luck to us all, Ed

Your quite welcome for the help, Ed. You can find swan-neck frames on ebay-France from time to time.

Re: solex ID- Hypercool?

Hypercool, I have not heard back from you with those serial numbers or a photo. Are you still there?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account