does this sound like soft sieze

could it be soft seize???? symptoms??

I got the tomos running, has no airfilter, i know it might be too lean, has a BiTurbo and a 53 jet, I was testing things out, function of transmission, limiting air into carb to see if it will shift better.

It was running pretty good, shifting was questionable, sometimes getting into 2nd, and sometimes lacking RPM power to get to 2nd.

then going around block, heard a clicking sound, then it just staled and slammed to a stop, not from brakes, but from friction like, i thought I just blew the motor, but it started right up???? Could it be to hot.......not getting right air-gas-oil mixture.......i think i'm going to take off oil injector, and try playing with carb filters, i checked the trans, my cork 1st gear clutch is kindoff warn, can't see 2nd gear clutch yet......i'll try a mirror....

could it be soft seize???? symptoms??

Re: does this sound like soft sieze

Jason Luther /

did you bike slam to a stop? or just the motor? sounds like a soft seize to me

Jason Luther /

check out yur piston and cylinder

A. Get an airfiter.

B. Get a bigger jet.

Hopefully you didn't cause too much damage.

Grey

yeah it slammed to a stop, like i put the brakes on real serious. then it started back up and got me back home........

ok a bigger jet, and a airfilter, then if all is bad i'll check the piston and cylinder.......is it a bitch to check the piston and cylinder???

also the corks on the clutch there there but not looking real good, anyone ever do the homemade cork clutch repair thing????

whats the odds of not damaging after a soft sieze??

See Ya Moped Army /

slim and none.

thanks guys..........i sooo new to mopeds......i love the challenge, guess what ........I am doing all this and not even going to be the one riding it!!!!!!!! nephew.......is going to ride it!!!! i'm nice huh!!

Yeah, you're going to want to take a look at the cylinder and piston, see what kind of smears or scratches there are.

Grey

Jason Luther /

checking the piston is easier than taking the clutch apart. the thing i dont get is that fact the wheels locked up

quote "checking the piston is easier than taking the clutch apart. the thing i dont get is that fact the wheels locked up"

me neither..........if it seized would'nt i just coast to a stop??????

what would slam me to a stop??? what is 4-stroking??

I could be totally wrong here but my garelli did that when i bought it and After i opened her up I notice there was 10 teeth missing on the driving gear. The gear would slam onto the other one when it hit the bare spot because the two gears were not lining up correctly. This may not be your case but I guess its possible you have a bad tooth on it someplace and every now and again its going to catch. Just trying to help but I am a begginer also. Good luck with it, I'm having a blast with mine.

i'm having a blast too. but already checked the teeth everything looks good......not much wear.

Cleats Onionpockets /

One thing to check, were you using the built in oil injection on that tomos? If so, take it out/disconnect it asap and run premix. The oil injection on tomos mopeds are worthless and notorious for failing and damaging engines. If you just run premix you should not have any problems once you get this thing sorted out.

"The oil injection on tomos mopeds are worthless and notorious for failing and damaging engines"

can you show me a thread anywhere that shows this?

I read this a lot but the idea of removing injection is :

1. a personal choice

and 2. part and parcel with kitting your ped to ensure a good mix

the only fails i have seen anywhere posted about oil injection is someone forgetting to put oil into them - not the pump failing

I've got a Jawa two speed that has shifting problems also. But I haven't addressed that problem yet.

To give you some advice, you might want to include your nephew in the maintenance and repair of the ped if you're going to pass this on to him. It's a good learning and bonding experience.

Yeah,don't trust Tomos oil injection COMPLETELY. If you don't disconnect it, you should still add at least 1.5 oz.high quality synthetic or semi-synthetic oil PER GALLON to your gas mixing can.If you DO disconnect it, add 3.5-4.o oz. per gallon.

I have calculated my oil-injection to be only 75:1 since kitting(which lowers your injection rate since you use more gas per mile at the same fixed rpms of the Tomos pump).

So I add 2 oz. per gallon to my mixing can(when I fill my 2 gallon can at home, I add 4 oz. of Pennzoil Marine synthetic blend). don-ohio

Ben Van Zoest /

Both wheels?

Jordan Caughey /

The first tomos a35 I bought with the oil injection sucked. we got it running and rode it for a few but evidently the pump was bad and the engine seized. So needless to say I no longer use the oil injection and never plan on it because I can't afford to replace my engine parts as it is. BTW I do think it sounds like your engine may have soft seized but I don't know why the wheels locked. I had a minarelli once that the circlip came out of while running and tore the hell out of the cylinder and bike came to a screeching halt.

could the transmission make me stop abruptly? I also discovered rear brakes are not releasing (spring back).......whats the deal with that.....(bernard) it has no front brakes right now, just rear slowed real fast......the OIL INJECTION IS gonna be gone!!!!!

Soft seize? Clutch drum

The clutch shoes are directly mounted solid on the crankshaft. The clutch drum freewheels at idle.

The bike could abruptly stop if the clutch drum was engaged by a STUCK CLUTCH SHOE or parts or debris between the shoes and drum. don-ohio

ya know i heard like a clicking in the transmission before it happened.....click, click,click,click,click,click.............slam to stop.

Cleats Onionpockets /

sounds like something in the clutch broke off. I wonder if one of the clutch swingarms came apart, rattled about in the drum for a moment and the jammed itself in the path of the other clutch shoe?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account