timing advanced too far?

how can you tell if your ignition timing is advanced waay too far? the reason behind this is that i believe this is the reason my moped is so difficult to start. and when it does start. it fires like once every 10-15 pedals. then it will then pick up and then be running. it usually takes a total of 50 pedals and 5-6 minutes just to get it started. and idles really poorly. itmisfires alot and sometimes just dies for no reason.

i have an identical moped with an identical motor and it starts right up on the first kick. idles great, fires at the right time every time.

this is really pissing me off because one time, the f**king thing died and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere and wouldn't start for like an hour.

Re: timing advanced too far?

you know what i had the same problem, except i have to take my ped up to 15mph before it starts (going down hill) and I'm going to do a complete tear down, but when checking my head, the bolts were too loose so you my want to factor in the engine status. I found fuel between on the gasket between the head and the cyclinder

mine likes to start at a certain low speed, like just before the starter clutch gives out because i'm pedaling too slow.

check your woodruff key on your crankshaft. Sounds like what my pacer was doing, and that's what it was.

timing is off if the bike is back firing. check the moby timing intructions on the moped wiki to fix it. Another reason mobys take a long time to start is a worn belt, buy a new one. It sould feel a like a chore to pedal start even with the decompressor pulled and a solid new belt. a few pedals and you will start right up.

good luck

elliot

woodruff key? i don't believe there even is one on my moped.

it turns over fine. and it never backfires. i just don't get it. its as if it is a lazy motor and just doesn't want to start.

hmm. maybe its the side-gapped plug. magneto is struggling to fir the plug @ .030" LOL never thought about that.

I was gonna ask about the spark.

my ped is not like yours but i tried and failed at sidegapping..

it must be a different way of measuring from the side..anyway I gave up and the backfiring disappeared meaning traditional plug type gap thing.

I felt like a new plug side gapped worked great at first but then...couple of days and backfire!!!! Maybe it wears or burns up the plug quicker.Goofy hunh?

yea the sparkplug wears down in line 50-100 miles. i just rebuilt my engine and i'm on the 20th mile with this shit and it has been like that from the first 5 rides.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account