Crankshaft key info needed for Minarelli V1 50CC

Hello all,

I am the middle of bringing a 1980 Motron Classic back to life and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a part I need.

My friend's brother-in-law is a Harley mechanic and helped me learn that I need a new crankshaft key (I think that's what it is called) because the make-shift one I made didn't work and caused the timing to get all messed up.

Does anyone know where I can get a new key for a 50CC Minarelli V1 engine? I looked through a PDF manual for the engine I found online but it doesn't list the key as a separate part... so, I am stuck. I guess the key sizes are standardized, so if someone could give me the size it needs, I can call around and search online for a new/ used but not broken one.

Thanks!

~Styles

Re: Crankshaft key info needed for Minarelli V1 50

I'd call handybikes and if they don't have one maybe a universal one from a hardware store will fit, its a half moon key correct?

Grey

Thanks for the quick reply, Grey!

I am not sure if it is a half moon key. When I got the moped the key was so worn down that it just looked like a chunk of metal. I'm a newbie and thought I could make one... kinda. I subsequently lost the chunk of metal, too. Or misplaced it.

Bump up... sorry to be lame like this.

It is a half moon key, called a woodruff key. The size you need is 3/32" wide by 3/8" long. I just went through that with my franco morini"s. I ended up finding the right size woodruff key at a polaris/yamaha quad dealer. Any place that services small engines of any kind should have some type of selection, just call around.

i just went to a few local lawn mower shops and found it

Case closed! Thanks for the help, guys, you are all awesome. Once my Minnesota-based moped group gets some more members, you can pat yourself on the back for helping the "Snowshoe Moped Group" become a reality.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account