trans fluid?

hello everyone I've got a 1980 tomos bullet and I'm not sure what kind of trans fluid to use so if someone would point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

thanks,

J.P.

Re: trans fluid?

John Joedicke /

10 w30 motor oil Its a A3 engine right. Check repair section over at www.mopedriders.org for a manual on the A3

Thanks for the info and the link!

See Ya Moped Army /

Type F or Type A Tranny fluid.

I put CAM2 Dexron-III/Mercon ATF automatic transmisson fluid (approved for H specification) in my 1982 Jawa Supreme.

Can anyone tell me if that's a 'bad' thing? The owners manual says to use 4oz of ATF fluid but dosent state what kind. It's been leaking a littel bit since I put it in. (filled it till it leaked out of the level check hole).

Any recomendations?

Thanks

If a german made Type F You will degrade the seals if you use Dextron. I have a '77 Kreidler and a '72 Chevy van I have to watch what I put into what. Type F in Fords Dextron in Chevys

I just replace my trans fluid in my '85 Silver Bullet with Type F fluid. The ped now has the red fluid up in the cylinder and will not run ( probably for many reasons). Did the Type F damage something or are my piston rings just shot? Should I drain and just put in 10w-30 instead? This is the first time I have worked on a Tomos.

Tha manual says use Type A fluid but I have not been able to find this type of Trans fluid anywhere.

Thanks

sounds like you put in too much.

I filled it until the fluid came out of the overflow hole. I may try to drain a little out and see if that helps.

Should I still continue to use the Type F fluid?

Thanks

i used Hurst "Hot Shift" in my 80 sachs. shifts a little harder now, but the only thing is that im not sure what type it is.

Type F works fine in tomos and type A is real hard to find. It sounds like a bad case gasket or crank seal, transmission fluid shouldn't be able to make it into the crankcase. When bikes sit long the crank seals harden up and leak. You'll know when you start it and it smokes like crazy. I'd make sure its not something else before tearing down the motor although I can't think of any other reason for atf to make it into the cylinder.

Grey

how do I get the right level? There is a check level screw. When I filled it (cold) I filled up till it started to leak from that hole. Should I get it hot and then recheck the level screw i.e, let the fluid drip out after it gets hot?

Re: trans fluid problem!

I refilled the transmission to the correct level. Put everything back together and the engine started. BUT, white smoke was pouring out the exhaust. I shut it down and pulled the spark plug and it was covered with transmission fluid.

Am I in trouble?!

I think I have a bad crankshaft seal(s)? How difficult are these to replace and can it be done with normal tools. I have looked at the A3 manuals, but I could use some help in making sure this is my problem.

Where do I get the seals and are there other parts I should replace while it is torn apart?

Hope I am not in over my head.

Thanks for the help.

My Puch service manual specifies Automatic Transmission fluid type "F" meaning Ford fluid.

My Tomas A3 Bullet manual specifies your choice of Valvomatic type "A" or 10 W 30 motor oil. If you cannot find type "A" go for the 10 w 30. It is working fine in my Tomas A3.

So you will get different answers depending on the experience of different bike owners.

I always heard that automatic transmission fluid is just high-detergent 30-weight oil, but there is obviously someting different from type "F" (Ford) to Dextron (General Motors) because they are each supposed to soften the others seals. If you cannot find type "A," it might be safest to go with the 10 w 30. You don't know if type "F" or Dextron is going to soften seals in a transmission specifying type "A."

I keep my premix seperate from oil based My premix is Castrol. a sweet odor . but if a oil burning you got a seal leak

A transmission fluid will have no weight. They are Type F or Dextron (whatever) Weight is the viscotity of oil from heat, 10w 30 starts at 10w then as heat conintues 30. Thin then thickens. Transmission fluid stayes the same. that is why it is red. Gota a leak easier to figure out. Loosing fluid fast and blue smoke out the exhaust a failing seal

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account