Removing rust from a gas tank.

So,

I was reading the mopedwiki article on the aforementioned subject and it listed using vinegar as a tool for removing rust. I have a few questions before I relate to you my great epiphany.

Has anyone tried this?

How well does it work?

Okay, so assuming that the answers to both of the above questions are at least "kinda, sorta," I have an idea that might turn "kinda, sorta" into "a little bit better than 'kinda, sorta'"

Lately I've been rebuilding my darkroom, and one of the chemicals used in photographic development is this solution called "stop bath." Stop bath, when mixed to be used for photographic processes, is acetic acid diluted to 28% in water. Now, distilled vinegar is nothing but acetic acid diluted to 7-ish% in water. But there's more, when you buy stop bath at photographic supply stores, it comes in a highly concentrated form, probably >90% acetic acid that you're expected to dilute yourself, so you could buy a bottle of stop bath for about $5, and dilute it to say 50% concentration in a gallon of water, and this could, hypothetically, be much more effective than vinegar, which is only 7%.

Unfortunately, (or really, rather fortunately) I don't have any rusty tanks on which to test my hypothesis, but if anyone wanted to try this, I would be really interested in seeing how it works out.

Thanks,

-Willie.

Re: Removing rust from a gas tank.

Hey Willie, go here for tons of opinions on vinegar and other stuff to clean tanks.

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/search.php?f=6&search=vinegar&match=1&date=0&fldsubject=1&fldbody=1

Hey, thanks.

Yeah, it's just an idea I had, I thought I might suggest it to see what others thought. It at least has to work better than vinegar, as stop is a much more highly concentrated form of acetic acid.

-Willie.

hey a couple days ago i tried vinegar and soaked for about 24hrs helped a little but i ducked taped a metal brush to the end of a busted fishing rod and scrubbed the inside of the tank. sounds stupid but worked very well

Brentus Sioux y Cycle /

Motobecane Master /

I just orderd one of those POR 15 kits to clean out and seal up a 77 Newport. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Keep in mind this is a very SOUTHERN way of doin it. I took off my tank filled with clean gravel, yes gravel, and poured in about 1/8 of the tank with simple green. i was douptful too but if you rock the tank side to side about 100 times per side it will be good as new. nice and slow is the technique. i know i shouldnt have to say this but, get every single last pebble out of there and wash it out BEFORE putting gas in. it works great but very tireing.

I've used vinegar on a few tanks. The trick is not to ge impatient. Let it go for a good 12 to 24 hours, and rinse it with water, then some rubbing alcohol (to get rid of the water. Water makes rust, duh. it also kills your engine), and finally, a cup of gas to get the alcohol out. Just a safety precaution. It's worked for me, and if nothing else, it liquifies the rust so a good pressure washing or sand blasting will restore it to perfect condition. In fact, I'm about to do this same thing for two more bikes. A 1977 Motobecane 50L and a 90's Tomos Targa. Both have the in-frame tank, which I've never done before, so this ought to be interesting.

Jonathan Winnie /

New to the Army...Just reviewed a bunch of the posts on a rusty tank repair. Mine's a `77 Puch with in-frame tank. Any suggestions regarding this? I was thinking of hanging the whole bike upside-down from a couple bike hooks in the ceiling. Anybody use a different method to get the vinegar out?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account