NVT stopped midrun HELP

Moped started to lose power as I was riding. 10 minutes or so after that it lost all power.

What do I check?

How do I do it?

I'm new to this moped thing.

Re: NVT stopped midrun HELP

Didn't run out of gas did you?

I know that it is a silly question but you idn't give us much to work with.

Is the bike stock?

What gas oil mix are you running.

Did the engine sieze or just quit running?

Have you cleaned all your fuel filters?

Remove the fuel cap to see if the vent hole is plugged.

Have you been able to get it started again?

What make and model is the bike?

1977 Norton Villers Triumph with a Minarelli engine.

No, it's not out of gas.

When I pedal it to get it started the engine starts to kick up but then it dies as soon as I gas it.

I don't know what "Is the bike stock?" means.

It just quit running.

I don't know how to clean the fuel filters.

The tank is shaped weird, I don't know if I can see the vent hole.

I'm running a 40:1 mix, which is what was recommended to me.

-t

Take the gas cap off and see if it will run.Starting it on the stand would be best if you can, you dont want to slosh gas all over.

Grey

Thanks.

Taking the gas cap off got it started on the 5th kick.

It sounded pretty ragged and then it died after about 30 seconds.

Now what?

Well it sounds like its been narrowed down to a fuel issue. I belive it has a dellorto sha carb, which is pretty easy to clean.

I have the engine manual. Should I just go at it? I've never done any sort of work on a moped before. What type of tools do I need?

Leon Swarmer /

Grey is prolly right on needing the carb cleaned, but you might try this first. Turn the petcok off. Get a container to catch fuel. Take the fuel line off the carb. It should lose about a teaspoon full of fuel. Now, holding the fuel line over your contianer, turn the petcock on. You should have a small steady flow. if not turn it to reserve and see if you have a good flow.

If you have a bad flow there you have gunk in your tank or petcock or maybe in a filter.

If the flow is good,it is carby time.

Can you post a pic of the ped ?

Leon

I feel really dumb, but I don't know how to do any of that. I looked in the manual, and nothing in there is called petcock.

Here's a picture of it. Sorry it's not that great. I don't have a digital camera. Hopefully this helps?

1156732479_scan0006.jpg

Petcock or fuel valve, same thing. Its where the fuel line connects to the gas tank.

Grey

Leon Swarmer /

before you even take the fuel line off, you just might turn that valve to reserve and see if it will run there.

If it runs on the reserve does that mean that I'm good to go?

Cleats Onionpockets /

Not neccesarily, it just means that the flow from the reserve section of the fuel valve is not obstructed. If you get it to start, does it idle on it's own? Did it give you any warnings before it jsut quit? Did it stutter, chug, or do anything abnormal prior to stalling out?

Before it quit it started to lose power. Like go super slow.

No, it won't idle on its own after I get it started. At least not for more than a few seconds.

Leon Swarmer /

have you tried fuel flow at the hose that enters the carb?

Weird. I switched it to the Reserve tank (I think...There's a little black lever under my foot platform, I'm pretty sure it's to switch to the reserve...) and it kicked right up and felt pretty good going up and down the block for a few minutes. I haven't checked the fuel flow at the hose that goes into the carb.

Is it just the one that goes from the gas tank into the carb?

Do I just pull it off and see what comes out?

You may have the valve's screens all plugged up with rust particles. If you can, take out the petcock valve and clean it out. You'll have to drain or plug up you gas tank, though.

---dz

Thanks so much for all your help guys!

I got instructions on how to clean my fuel valve out and it's going to be my project tonight.

Again, Thanks so much!

This might be the same type of carb, it at least gives an idea of what you'll be working with.

http://www.tomosmopeds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7

Grey

I would remove the gas tank and clean that out too, since that's what is making your petcock dirty--rust chunks in the gas tank. Search on here for gas tank cleaning or de-rusting. The easiest way is to take the tank off, fill it with coke cola, shake it up and let it sit overnight. When you drain the coke out you must fill it up with gas/oil mix immediately as it will rust within a half hour if left empty. Good luck.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account