Garelli - Project Moped - Help with the clutch?

Rob M /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I just got a 1972 Garelli Eureka Flex. Its not close to working yet. Here are the problems it has:

Possible Clutch problem

Clutch cable rigged up

Needs a spark plug / plug cap

Needs a kill switch

lots of rust

I'm not new to fixing up mopeds, but most of the work I've done is with the carb on my Puch Maxi. It looks like the main problem for this ped is the clutch.

I was told this by the owner previous owner:

"When I first got it I tried pushing the lever and it wouldn't enage. So I drained the oil and opened it up and found A LOT of rubber pieces all over. If you look closely at those circle you'll notice there is something rubber . I saw the and assumed the rest of the clutch destroyed, but I didn't takmissinge the clutch off, so I didn't look at the rubber body."

I know that the clutch on the Garellis have a rubber part that often get blown out. When I took the clutch apart I expected to see it torn to pieces, but it looked like the main piece was intact. I put everything back together and tried to engage the clutch. It does engage, but only when I pull the clutch lever really far.

Here are my questions for now:

1. Should the clutch engage when the starter lever is pulled slightly?

2. What should I replace if my clutch is blown? Just the rubber body?

3. Where could I get the rubber body for cheap? (themopedjunkyard has one for $50)

Sorry for the n00b questions, but I'm trying to learn a lot by fixing this ped.

I've used http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/garelli.html for diagrams for the clutch.

1156557154_garellimoped.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account