Puch crank woodruff sheared on flywheel side

NB0tt aholetechbro /

A few months ago I had to take off the flywheel on my 1978 Puch Maxi-luxe and when I put it back on it didn’t go on evenly enough so when I turned it on it became worse and starting banging around for a second until I turned it off.

After taking off the flywheel I see that the woodruff key that holds the flywheel in it’s spot has been pretty badly chewed up and the actual "pocket" or seat that it goes in is pretty sheared.

Anyway, I was wondering what possible fixes there might be other than having to get a whole new $$$ crankshaft or can I put some kind of glue down that would hold the key securely?

Any ideas?

thanks

-nicco

ps. I posted this earlier on what I thought was the repair forum but by accident I had it on the performance section so that's why I'm reposting it here again.

Re: Puch crank woodruff sheared on flywheel side

Aye carumba!

I know why no one has responded here.

No one want's to be the bearer of bad news.

I just keep thinking of the forces at work there, engine acceleration and decelerating, vibration and heat.

Other than cutting a new keyway I can't think of any quick fix or epoxy thet could stand that abuse for very long.

Rusty

depending on how wild your crankshaft hole is, you could possibly get a sightly large key, maybe file it down to fit perfectly,

and when you put the magneto on,, tap it on, use a piece of wood and a hammer,

i think some of the cdi systems dont even use keys, the newer style clutches and some aftermarket crankshafts dont use clutch side keys, its all just tapered tight fits,

NB0tt aholetechbro /

bollocks. just what i was fearing.

Wow, you got more impuit on the performance post than here in the repair section.

It's all about thinking outside the box.

Make sure you check it out.

Rusty

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account