80 sachs 505/1a

do these things have gear oil of transmission fluid in them somewhere? when i run mine at wide open throttle some pink fluid comes out of the cylinder where the decompresion thing is.

Re: 80 sachs 505/1a

they have transmission fluid in the transmission- sounds like a bad seal somewhere. Rebuild kits are cheap on ebay from handybikes right now.

is the tranny fluid in these things red? its leaking out right where the decompression thing goes into the cylinder so maybe there is just a bad seal there?

i take it its red then. how do i fill the trans fluid? like where is it?

fill the transmission with fluid through the left side of the bottom end case, the plastic filler plug. DO NOT TOUCH THE LITTLE SCREW ON TOP LEFT BESIDE THE CARB!!! That's the fillister screw and if you unscrew it you'll have to open the entire case to fix your incumbent clutch problems

The original fluid used in the trans/clutch area was pinkinh red but was not ATF type fluid. It is an oil so dont just refill with atf or there wont be much left of the motor.. The crank seals are most likely bad

The stock fluid, as required by the manual is Type F(for Ford) Automatic Transmission Fluid. the decompression on Sachs is something of a weak point, and your problem is a common, though not major, one.

The least fatal diagnosis: Sometimes if a moped with a sachs motor gets tipped over on it's left side fluid will leak up and out where the cable housing is and dibble out the cable housing. It kind of depends on how bad the leak is.

The crank seal going out and having transmission fluid leak out really would be bad, but thinking about it not too likley- I have to apologize I've been kind of doom and gloom lately.

As for using anything but some sort of Automatic transmission fluid in the transmission on a sachs, I have to know where you heard this. BJ at handybikes is the one who told me years ago that you could use either fluid, and he uses type F. Since they were the company that started importing Sachs to the US, that's what I go with.

then thats what i will use. it isnt a fast leak or anything but its still a leak. can i just keep putting fluid in it and let it leak or will tha kill it?

you just fill it up untill it dribbles out the fill-hole on the side. I use one of the transmission funnels that has a flexable tube on the end.

it's the plastic flathead screw, right tunder the S on SACHS.

Rick,

Many sachs have this problem, the fluid sits real close to this area,(decompression/clutch cable) when the motor runs and the fluid is in motion there is the chance that fluid will come out of that area. It is annoying, but harmless. After every ride just wipe the ped down and check your fluid every so often to make sure there is enough in the case. I have been somewhat successful in putting an o ring where the housing of the cable enters the case. There is a little lip down there that the ring can sit on. I think like an .006 or slightly larger. Also, new housing make take care of it

hey thanks for being so helpful! i really appreciate it! my ped is now my daily transportation to and from work so i want it to run like a top. my truck, although it is a 4-cylinder, still doenst get good enough mileage for me. ; )

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account