Where can i find it?

i have a 77 puch maxi with and e-50 one speed that is more a glorified workout bike than a moped, well the thing is that i need some piston rings because it didnt have any when i got it, i dont know why they would be missing, where do i find what size the piston is or what kind it is, alos the the small metal band that is in between where the piston goes there are some pieces misssing from it, if i get the rings will it still run???

Re: Where can i find it?

You will have to measure the piston OD or better yet measure the cylinder bore ID.

Please explain the statement about the "small metal band"

Do you mean the portions of the piston that locate the rings?

Yea, it is the "canal" that i guess would hold the rings there are two of them and from the two machined out "canals" the piece of metal in between is missing some sections of it

The grooves in teh piston are called grooves, I guess but the portions of the piston that retain the rings are called "lands", don't ask me why.

You got scammed. Someone bought the bike to get the piston for their bike and you for sure need a new piston and rings.

You have to hope that there is no further damage to the engine and that there are no metal bits in the crankcase.

no the crank case was seized shut with rust and i have the piston it just there is no rings, and the piston is in bad shape but i think it can still be runnable or enough for it to fire, and thats all i want to know, if it will fire then i will spend the money to get a new top end, is there any way i can get compression any other way, like away to make a ring or something?

If an engine has a spark then it should run after you replace the piston.

Take the sparkplug out, hold it against the engine somewhere and have someone crank the engine over.

If you have spark then it should fire in the future.

I do not believe that there is any way to make a new ring or repair the piston.

so even with the piston being pitted and some pieces missing from the lane if i get some rings should it work?? and do you know a site that i can get some, the site that was given is in another lang that i dont understand and i couldnt see any pics of just rings

Where can i find it?

Steamboat Aka J. R. Stevens /

Hey Fernando, From what you posted on the General Forum:

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/288909/288909/, I think you need to do some reading. Here is a link to Fred"s Guide which will help you get started. Jim

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

I would advise against trying to run the engine with broken lands in the piston. This will let the rings slop around and probably catch the edge of a ring in one of the cylinder port openings with disasterous results.

i have read that guide and i know how and engine works i was just wondering if it would fire once or twice to make sure that i have everything else running, thanks for the advice ill try to scrap up some money to get a new piston and rings

stop being cheap... by a new piston and rings... c ylinder if needed. Post a picture of the piston i'm sure half of us could tell u if its runnable or not.

if you havent seen my moped it in bad shape and i dont want to pour money into a piece of junk that isnt going to run with out a complete rebuild of the whole ped which i dont have the money for, i have seen a new top ends for around 110-120 bucks, is that too much or a good deal for that?

< 1153534772_100_2687.jpg>

the computer im on wont let my post the pic of my bike so i am trying to put it on here i dont know if it will work, im trying to the the thread where i did post it but am having trouble finding it

1153534772_100_2687.jpg

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=285182&t=285182

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=285182&t=285182

thats the thread that i posted when i didnt even know what kind it was, it has an attachment of what my bike looks like

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account