Motobecane 7

So i have recently gotten a hold of a old Motobecane 7, and it needs some tender loving care. It would run fine if the gas tank wasnt filled with rust, also the carb needs to be cleaned and the fule lines must be replaced. Thing is i dont know if thats the end of the road or just the start to a laundry list of problems. Can any one tell me of a place in Seattle, or just some place in general, that will service and repair this guy?

Thanks for any tips.

Re: Motobecane 7

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

i would suggest doing it yourself because most places wil charge like $60/hour bench time. so far everything you have said is on the side of easy.

Yeah, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the 7 have a removable gas tank? That will be much easier to clean and mend than an in-frame tank would be (as most other Motobecanes have).

There are LOTS of thread about cleaning gas tanks if you search for them. If you want to get fancy, you might want to try this kit, it's sold as a sample kit but it's more than enough to treat a moped tank.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

you could go to any hardware store and get the same chemical for cheap. its called muritic acid (i spelled it fenitcally {that spelling was a joke there} because im not sure of the proper spelling so dont quote it as the perfect).

Mike, the cleaner is only a small part of the kit. The main attraction is the POR-15 paint, which is supposed to alter the chemical make-up of the rust and bond permanently to it, which they claim Kreem and other products don't do. Whether all that's true or not, I can't say, I haven't tried it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account