help.. 80cc kit sprocket mounting

???????? i'm confused. i dunno how to mount the sprocket onto the back wheel. the mounting device is getting me confused. it has a steel 2 piece ring that goes on the inside of the wheel, but the 2 rubber pieces are what's confusing me... does the sproket go between these 2 or what?

1154829449_80cc_kit.jpg

Re: help.. 80cc kit sprocket mounting

never mind... with lots of time, sweat, and beer, the gears in my head shifted and i figured it out... i think.

Tikiman,

You may get it on the first try but it always takes me 3.

Every bike and wheel is different.

In this order: Bolts / Sprocket (start with the dished part in) / rubber doughnut / spokes /rubber doughnut split to go over the hub shell / metal moon clamps / flat washers, lock washers, nuts.

You may need to flip the sprocket over so the dished side faces out and if you got extra metal plates they can go right behind the sprocket to shim it out a bit.

Once you have the correct alignment for the chain and the sprocket is not hitting your frame you will need to keep tightening the bolts as the rubber washers get broken in the sprocket can loosen up and slip.

You may need to open up the outside rubber doughnut thing on the ID so it clears the hub bearing shield.

You may also need to dog leg the coaster brake arm.

I hope this makes sense.

Rusty

I concur. That's how I set mine up. I actually lost a 2 bolts the first time I took mine for a spin, and I couldn't find them on the ground so I just bought some new ones. While I did that, I puchased some additional washers for the bolts to sit on on the sprocket side, I didn't like how they were sitting on the wheel. The 9 holes on the sprocket were a little to wide for the bolts, they sit much better now with a washer on the sprocket side and a washer and split-washer on the clamp side.

I recommend some blue loc-tite as well. They haven't come loose since.

Mike Simpson is suposed to be "engineering" a wheel hub with a mounting flange for the kit sprockets.

There were some from China but they were complete cra... Junk.

Rusty

I think I have one of those. I got a box of spare parts for like $30, consisting of multipe gasket sets, a new carb, spark plugs, kill switches, pistons, and some other stuff. There was also a wheel hub with a uniform thread on one side, and a 2-level thread on the other (the inside threading was short, with a wider diameter than the threading further out on the hub). There were no nuts that came with it, so I don't know how to use it or attach the sproket. One side obviously takes the sprocket cassette for the bike chain, the other for the motor sproket, but I've never disassembled a sprocket cassette from a bike hub, so I don't know which side is which. It's sitting in the box because I don't know what to do with it. I will probably never find a nut to fit it.

um neither of my rubber doughtnuts are split...

pissing me off.

FUCKING HELL! i managed to get this sprocket finally mounted. it took me from 10:30 pm to 4:16 am to finally figure this out. jeez, no instructions, no nothing.

You're supposed to put a slice with a razor blade in those rubber pieces (between the holes), so you can get them around the hub in the inside of your wheel. Rotate these rubber pieces and the curved metal pieces around so all of the edges are covered up. These should be instructions on the website of the place got it from.

Just want to add a clarification to your comment

Put a cut across ONE of the rubber shims. You don't need to cut the one on the outside of the hub. You put a cut through the inside one so you can get it around the axle inside the spokes.

i did that. its installed. everythings now fine.

Make sure you loctite everything. I've lost carb nuts, air cleaner screw, and other bolts have loosened as well on my 80cc kit.

Chas

I have yet to put a rubber biscuit on the outside of the hub for alignment and spacing reasons. I've always needed to get the sprocket as close to the wheel as possible.

Initially I left the rubber shims off on my 48cc, but I didn't like how the metal on the inside was pressing on the spokes. I didn't want to think what would happen to my rear wheel if I busted some spokes at high speed. Once I had it up and running, I went back and used the shims, it gives more of an even pressure across the spokes, instead of pushing them outward. Of course, this all depends on the alignment of your bike.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account