'78 maxi carburetor

How do I get the carb off of my maxi?

The coil is sort of in the way of the manifold, and the support bar thingy is in the way if I just want to slide it off.

Also, how to I get the cable off of it? I haven't taken the rubber boot off yet to look...

And I have dial-up, so saying "go look at this video" isn't gonna cut it. I have tried and waited hours for such things...

Thanks

-Rader

Re: '78 maxi carburetor

Ok you have to turn the bottom of the carb up towards you its tight but it will come off ,and u have to take the top of the carb off two screws lift up and out ,oh ya take you gas line off first

Finally some info!

Thanks so much!

So, once it is opened, are springs gonna shoot out at me? What should I look out for?

-Rader

Ben Van Zoest /

You can get into a real can of worms, go look at carb break-out picture first, MRA site has one.

Yeah, so I took the carb off.

It looked pretty good inside.

It needs a good cleaning obviously, but the jet was pretty and nothing was clogged...

I want to soak it in one of those carb cleaner buckets. Will the float seal get messed up because it's rubber? I want a new one, but 1977mopeds is sold out. Also, do you use a rachet to get the jet out? I lookes like a bolt with a hole in it. Also again, the jet says 60 on it. Is this a replacement jet? I thought the '78 Maxi-luxe one speed came with a 58...

Thanks

-Rader

Also, what is a good cleaner for the head carbon issues I have? I scraped it and even rubbed some gasoline on it and it is stubborn. Can I soak the head in the carb cleaner bucket, too?

And if I bring the piston to TDC, should I use a rag soaked in carb cleaner to wipe the carbon off of it? Same with the exhaust port...?

Or, would just using gasoline be a better idea?

Thanks

-Rader

Sorry, third question in a row.

Do you have to change the needle when you up-jet?

And how do you get the throttle cable to let go???

Thanks again

-Rader

Push the cable through the throttle barrel and slide it sideways into the larger hole ,this is when springs go flying so be carefull

Ben Van Zoest /

Why do you want to jet up? If at all possible leave the slide/cable in one piece. The two clips within the slide keeps the cable end from dislocating they are precisely positioned to do so. Make sure there is a steady fuel flow you can test this when the bowl is off. Really no reason to get in deep trouble fix the obvious first.

I put a bi-turbo on it...so I need to up-jet.

And I'm gonna get a better air cleaner so I will need an even BIGGER one.

-Rader

LOL!!! WOW...im sorry. it just find it very interesting that u post such a question and got so many replies. i guess some people really dont know how to unscrew a bolt. HA!

go to my website..puchmoped.blogspot.com DO IT!!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account