76 Puch Maxi...need help

Just picked up a 76 Puch Maxi. Starts for about two seconds then dies right away. I think it is a fuel issue. Any ideas? Fires RIGHT up with starter fluid, then dies shortly after. I feel like it is choking it self out. When I hit the throttle, the choke knob moves up. Is this supposed to happen? Also, what position is choke on or off? And how to I open the bottom of the BING carb to clean the float? Cleaned everything else on it, but have no idea how to open the bottom end of the carb. ANY help would be great. Thanks!!

76 Puch Maxi...need help

dont we all.

Re: 76 Puch Maxi...need help

The choke is on when the knob is down, when you twist the throttle a notch in the carb slide pulls the choke plate up to the "off" position. What you see with your choke is normal.

You can unscrew the float bowl using a 14mm spanner. There is a hexagonal part on the bottom of the float bowl. Usually you can twist it off with your hands too, because it doesn't need to be screwed on very tight. Tightening it with a spanner is overkill IMHO.

Hi does the choke knob go up and down when you give it gas ?or does it stay up when you push the choke dpwn and then give it gas.its supposed to stay up when you give it gas let me know, Dan

ok so the choke is down, then when I hit the gas it stays up. So looks like that is doing what it needs to do. The nut on the bottom of the bowl is on very tight. I thought I could open that, but i didn't want to just crank down on it. So I need to open that? If then I clean the float and carb once more and it still starts then BOGS down right away, what might be the problem? Thanks everyone!

When you have taken the float chamber off you can remove the main jet and clean that too. It might be clogged up, the engine doesn't get any fuel then. That could be your problem.

oh ! you have to take the bottom off just reef on it it will come loose being so tight is a sign it hasnt been apart before or for a long time let me know what you find in there i bet lots and lots of crud, run a small wire through everyhole you find ,you can get a wire by stripping a trash bag tie, also clean the little basket screen in the gas inlet and in the gas tank petcock and by all means put an inline fuel filter on it. seem like a lot of work? well its the fun part of owning a puch. peace up Dan

Thanks everyone. ya I cleaned the tank yesterday, had some rust in it. Got the tank clean, and I did put on a filter as well...just to be safe. I will let you know when I get her going. Also, been looking around trying to find some info on my Puch. I haven't seen one around like it. it is all black...black wheels with red pin stripe, and in a old almost western style font says "Puch" on the tank, and "Maxi" on the back fender. It is a 76. Have the original sales recipet and everything. Not a custom paint job, was told it came from factory like it. Know anything about it? Thanks everyone for your help. Going now to clean carb nice and good

That is a Maxi Nostalgia, a very nice model with the painted rims and swirly lettering. They were available in black with red pinstripes and a very dark burgundy red with gold pinstripes. There are not many of them around anymore.

Does it look like this by any chance

1154824666_pict0020.jpg

or this ^

1154824825_pict0021.jpg

yup, just like that!

paid 100 bucks for it heheheh peaceup Dan

hu hu I have a rary I have a rary peaceup Dan

got it running! Took the carb apart 6 times before finally finding the problem. Each time I cleaned all the holes with a wire like was suggested. And each time nothing. I filled the bowl full of gas and it started, so I knew SOMEWHERE SOMEHOW gas wasn't getting to the carb. Took it apart once more and was about to call it a day due to frustration when I found a little black piece of crud stuck in the port where gas comes in from the fuel line. Got it out, and it fired right up. Thanks for the help!

Eddie T How did that feel? like like you just had og Huh nothin more satisfying then finding the problem HUH , Thats how i felt when I found my brake problem . GOOD JOB! peaceup Dan

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account