77 Newport

I have a 77 Puch Newport that was running earlier today. I messed around a bit with the throttle cable and idle screw, then took the top of the carburator out and the whole main slide, choke slide, spring, etc. fell apart completely as soon as I took it out. I put it back together and put it back in several times and couldnt get it to run again. It would sound like it wanted to start when I pedaled really fast and opened the throttle but would never actually kick in and start. It would just die down when I either stopped pedaling or let the throttle go a little. Im pretty new to mopeds so I dont really know what the problem might be. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: 77 Newport

Ok Did you clean the carb?? If not then Ya prob. knocked a little peice of stuff into the carb. Clean the carb then try again.

Also prime and choke it when you start.

Make sure the choke slide is in right--the little notch fits over the choke lever, which sticks down intothe top of the carb. If you do it wrong and just plop the slide down into the carb, it will go back together, but won't run right. It's a little tricky.

Yeah, Im pretty sure I put it back together correctly. I did it a couple times just to make sure. Im going to try cleaning it completely today. I did notice that the top of the carb is missing the little gasket that fits under it. I read that it prevents air from entering through the top, I wasnt sure if that would make a big difference or not.

So I took the carb apart, cleaned it and put it back together, but still nothing. It doesnt seem like its even turning over. When I pull the starting lever it seems like nothing happens except for the resistance that it normally gets.

either the cable is not properly attached at the handle or

carb or both,,,be sure and let it rest in case you flooded it;could be the idle screw as you indicated you messed w/all this stuff!

The only thing I did to the idle screw was tighten it a bit. Which cable do you mean, the throttle? Im pretty sure that I put the carb back together right. I'll post a picture or something later to make sure.

Alright, I have somewhat of an update. I read through Fred's Guide again and did some work, but when I was trying to start it the cable to the start lever came out completely. Im guessing because the screw was too lose. So I reconnected it, but its not quite as good as it was before. The cable was a little frayed and hard to fit into the lever. But I checked and it is moving the piece at the other end of the cable. However, nothing happens when I pull the lever and try to start it. It acts the same regardless of the starting lever being pulled. I really want to get this thing running properly.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account