Solex 3800 running good, now not

I just got a Solex 3800(1986 I think) yesterday. An older lady was throwing it away. She claims it worked fine when she put it up in her garage. Stored there for many years. Looks to be in pretty good shape. Cleaned the spark plug, fuel lines,gas tank(dirty) and it started up perfectly and ran for well over an hour. Then going up a hill, it just died. Acted like it wanted to start but just went kaplooey. Changed spark plug, cleaned diaphragm,cleaned the carburetor. After changing plug, would start and only run a few seconds. ThenI let it sit up for about 45 minutes. After that, I tried to start it and it ran for about 5-7 minutes, and then started to like lose power.It was jerking, and seemed like it wanted to go but couldn't. And it quit.It was kinda like a nuetral tranny car when you start it in neutral and you go to put it in first and it sputters and jerks. What could be the problem? Too much gas? Too rich?Not enough gas? Muffler? Carb?What???? Please attach a manual or service guide for the Solex bikes if anyone has one. Let me know if you need any special numbers off of it.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account