ok now what?

ok i found out its not my flywheel thats stuck its my piston it seems like its to big to fit in the cylnder and wont move is there any inexpensive fix to this?

Re: ok now what?

Chances are its not too big, either it locked up from sitting, or it was seized. Start by spraying penetrating fluid down the spark plug hole and let it soak for a week or two adding fluid once in a while. If you remove the exhaust and look in there at the piston how does it look?

Grey

ok now what?

It's not too big - it's seized. Either by rust or by someone running without enough oil and it expanded and seized up. Spray some PB Blaster or other good penetrant (WD-40 is not a good penetrant) between the cylinder wall and the piston. Let it soak for a while. I usually try to unstick them first by moving the flywheel back and forth just a little bit at a time. Patience is a virtue here. If that doesn't work then I usually take the head off again and turn the flywheel so that the whole cylinder moves back and forth on the studs. I move the cylinder to the end of the stud, or as far as it will go, and then turn the flywheel so that the cylinder slams in to the engine casing. Sometimes this knocks it loose. If not, then I bring out the big guns - a chunk of wood and a hammer.

Ha, you must be a faster typer than I!

ok as of now i have the clynder head off and im staring at the piston its a very snug fit even tho all parts are stock

Of course it's snug. If it wasn't, you wouldn't have compression!

i know that butits almost too snug it wont move up or down at all (when the cylnder is on)

set the cylinder down on the engine case..

Then start with a few lightl taps on the piston's top .. use a block of wood and a heavy hammer.

see if the piston moves at all... look close for movement.

you may have a broken ring and it's caught in a port.. look around for something like that.

btw, has the engine ever fired up and run at all since you owned it?

yes it has it ran but shut off due to to low of and idle

are you mixing your gas with oil?

do you have an air filter on?

it wont just do this because of the idle

it would start

just not idle

get it?

if it dont move in the cyl. whats that tell ya?seeing as how its supposed to move!! come on think man think!!!!!!!

ok well i found out that the piston rings are shot and they took out chunks of the cylinder and that chewed up the piston

cool.. you found it.

now precisely describe what you mean by all that ..

JEEEEEEEEEZZ JOEW dont play with him, the guys got enough problems what with all those spare parts that fell out of his engine

i aint playing ..

i wanna know what something he describes as "took out chunks of the cylinder" looks like.

liek its scratches up and peices of metal off the wall are missing

pieces? how big?

cylinder scratches are nothing ..

i've run pistons with deep scratches and chunks missing off the skirt.

the thing that matters is the crankcase and crankshaft and connecting rod.. See any evidence that the crankshaft is at all damaged? does all that move free and easy?

ow well then everything seems fine i finally got everything loose and going i just cant get it to start i figured that was why but maybe i dont have spark my wiring is also a mess

If the rings are messed up it might not have compression.

Grey

no it has compression

now what ..

i think maybe we're being played..

rings, chunks.. scratches .. no description .. and now we got compression..

i think we got had.

Re: now what ..

i never said it didnt have compression and why would i sit areound and make this stuff up im jsut trying to get my ped going

you said it did have compression .. and broken rings, which makes no sense... So you're not making sense. But for all i know, you don't even know what a ring is..

Just describe the damage as best you can. If you fail to adequately describe the problem, nobody can help you fix it.

btw, you'd be suprised how many weirdos with nothing better to do hang around here and act dumb, just for kicks..

I have pretty good instincts but might be mistaken... prove me wrong.

ill take a picture i nthe morning

to help solve the problem

and wow i didnt know about that are there really people like that here?

pix would be even better..

You got any idea how this happened?

Among the questions you've yet to answer, someone mentioned oil.. Did you add any 2-stroke oil to the gasoline?

Don't be shy about what happened .. we've all messed up royally at one time or another. Knowing how it happened can be a big clue to how to fix it.

i belive the guy i got it from didnt have the mix right and it caused it to swell and then me getting it going finally warped it more and the caused it to seize up is what i belived no i have the proper 2 stroke 50:1 mixture in the tank

ok i went to a local engine shop and they fixed my cylender and piston but i dont think i have spark and i dont have a spark tester to see if i have spark and its to sunny to check for spark on the plug is there anyway to check the coil itself it wont start but there is compression and fuel and air

Remove the spark plug, connect the plug wire to the plug.

Grab the end of the plug and the engine.

Spin the engine by hand.

Did you feel a jolt or tingle?

If yes you probabily have sufficent spark.

If no you do not have spark.

Rusty

ok theres no spark

also one of the rods that connects the clynder is broken would that affect compression?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account