Bat Drive Belt

Anybody know the specs for the drive belt on a 1979 Batavus VA II (M48 engine)? The only ones I've found online are going for $20 a pop plus shipping, and I want two of them. A bit much if I can get the right size locally.

The only numbers I can find on the belt are the engine model, M48, and "401" molded into the rubber on the INSIDE of the belt (weird place for numbers).

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Re: Bat Drive Belt

Do a search on this site for Batavus drive belt. There's an old post somewhere that has the specs for the correct belt size. Just take them to an auto parts store and they'll find the right size.

I just did this for my Batavus--I think the belt was $7 and it works fine.

Thanks, Gabe, but after searching all three lists, I found several references to the belt, but no specs. (I did manage to find the specs for a Motobecane, but that doesn't help me.) If someone else remembers the post, I would appreciate the info.

Gabe, if it's not too much trouble, could you perhaps check the belt you bought for the numbers, or maybe you j=have them on a receipt? $7 sounds a whole lot better then $20 plus shipping!

Joe

Sure, I just dug up the original post that I printed out (thought I threw it out--whew!)

A Dayco L432 48X320 belt will work. I'm not sure what the individual numbers mean--just take them to the auto parts store and they can cross-reference it.

Seems to work well on my Starflite--after putting the proper carb jet in, it goes about 28, which I gather is pretty good for a Batavus.

Looks from your profile like you just bought these--I just bought mine on Ebay too, and found out somthing interesting that might help you.

They put a bigger-than-normal carburetor jet into Batavus mopeds when they were new to prevent them from seizing during break-in. These big jets make them run rich, which makes the bike go slower. So you might want to check your carb jet to see if it's the right size.

To check it, unscrew the big brass bolt in the side of the carburetor and take it out. The jet will be screwed into the end and will have a number stamped in it. The correct sizes are 50 for a 25 mph bike, 52 for a 25 mph bike and 56 for a 30 mph bike. If your jet is 2 sizes bigger than the numbers listed above, you need to switch to the correct size.

They use the same jets as Puch maxis, which are pretty easy to find. Mine had the bigger jet in it when I bought it--I switched them and went from a top speed of 22 to 28.

Oops, that's 50 for a 20 mph bike, not a 25mph.

Matthew Libhart /

might be worth mentioning that you can't just pick your speed with the jet. There are differences in the carbs, so don't just go buy a 56 jet and think you'll go 30mph. Figure out which version you have (20mph, 25, or 30) and get the correct one. Great info on the belt. Thanks.

I did my homework when I won the auction, downloaded an owner's manual online (thanks Brian) and bought a repair manual. I checked the jets because there is just a little over 700 miles on each, and, sure enough, they still had the break-in jets (58's). I've already installed the 56's and the top speed is the same, but I get less "four cycling". Mine is definitely a 30MPH; it's labeled on the frame and the carb confirms it.

Thanks much for the info on the belt. It will save me a lot of time and aggrevation, not to mention the money.

Joe

Cool. Mile's a 30mph carbtoo--what's your top speed?

I'm reaching 28 mph consistently, but then I'm over 200 lbs and have a considerable, shall we say, wind resistance, so I gotta be satisfied with that. The bikes came with windshields. I'm going to install one tomorrow to see if it slows me down any.

Joe

Windshields?!? Cool. I get 28-29 on mine too, but had to remove the plastic intake on the carb to go that fast, and I'm a scrawny SOB--hmmm.

Before I took off the intake, it was 26-27 and took a lot longer getting there. I'm currently doing the pantyhose trick for an air filter, but I hear there's a uni-pod filter that fits, so I'm going to try to find that.

The Batavus is much slower than by Newport, but it's also much quieter and smoother--I kinda like it.

Yeah the wrong jet will hurt top end. You can tell because the Bat 4 strokes when you have to wind open on the flat, and then will 2 stroke when you start to go up a hill. Bat's are the nicest ride by far, smooth, quiet, and handle great!

Hmm, you're right, it did 4-stroke with the intake on, at 26 mph every time. Without the intake, no more 4-stroking and 29 mph. I've got the recommended 56 jet--wonder if I should try smaller.

Hey Karl, did that rear rack come stock on your Bat? I want one...

Bat jetting (was Bat drive belt)

With the 58's I was getting 4-stroking anytime I was cruising at a steady speed, not just wide open. If I accelerated, it would smooth out immediately; this would be like going uphill at WOT. I've noticed occasional 4-stroking with the 56's, but nothing like it was before.

Gabe, both of my bikes came with a rack like Karl's. I've got one on now, on the same bike as the windshield and saddlebags, sort of a 'ped "dresser". I think I may leave the other bike free of accessories. If I decide I'm not going to use the rack, you're first in line for it.

Joe

Re: Bat jetting (was Bat drive belt)

Cool, email me if you decide not to use it, I'd definitely be interested. How did you attach your saddle bags?

I went to the Auto parts store and bought two belts. I handed the guy the specs Gabe gave me (thanks) and he brought me a belt that was the right length, but too narrow. He tried again and brought me a couple of Gates 9319. It was a winner. Other numbers that would probably work: Dayco 17320, Goodyear 17321, and metric size 13A0815.

Gabe, I've attached a picture of how the saddlebags attach. They are NOS Motobecane bags that I got on Ebay. I had to widen the top brackets abit and move the spring and hook up higher to work on the Batavus luggage rack, but they now fit perfectly and mount or dismount in seconds.

BTW, I've posted a pic of the bikes on my profile page.

1153861527_mopedbag2.jpg

Thanks for posting the pic--Let me know if you're looking to get rid of your extra luggage rack...

I have those same bags in orange on my Newport--they're awesome, the nicest piece of luggage I own :).

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account