Bat pedal arm

Matthew Libhart /

Hello,

I've got an '80 Batavus that must have bent pedal arms. The left one rubs the clutch cover and the right one rubs the exhaust. I've removed them and was going to replace with an extra set of Puch arms I have but they won't fit the pedal shaft, the shaft is bigger in diameter than the Puch crank is bored for.

I don't mind buying new. Does anyone know of a place to get the proper ones for a Bat other than mopedjunkyard. They're $40 for the set there, which is kind of insane I think.

I see 1977 Mopeds has quite a few but I'm wondering about the diameter of the bore fitting this shaft. I'll email them too, but thought someone might know.

Thanks again.

Re: Bat pedal arm

find out for sure why the original arms rub.

The shaft is soft and it's easy to bend the ends .. just laying the weight of the bike on a pedal might do it. Then it's hard to tell if the very end is bent a little bit.

If the difference were minor, I'd consider boring the Puch cranks out to fit the shaft, but i have a few tools and could do a good job.

Matthew Libhart /

Joew,

you're saying that the cranks may not be bent, but the shaft itself might be bent at the ends?

If the crank arms look vertical in the up/down position, they're probably not bent. If the shaft is bent, the crank will be offset one way in the up but the opposite way when down (or fore and aft, as the case may be). Is your drive pulley in line with your clutch pulley? You may be missing spacers behind it, moving the crank closer to the clutch cover. The muffler should be mounted so that it is beyond the reach of the crank arm, which should clear the exhaust pipe. If it's not, loosen the clamp and pull the muffler rearward. (I did this just today!) Do you maybe have replacement pedals whose screws extend through the crank holes?

yeah, that's what i meant .. the shaft's end. Check it for run-out before buying new parts.

Matthew Libhart /

Trop, thanks for that veritcal tip. I put the crank arms straight up and looked from the back fender and sited down the ped using the shocks as a bit of a guide. The cranks are definitely bent. It looks really dramatic when eyeing in this way. Holding them in your hand is a worthless way to tell.

So now I still have the conundrum of what to use to replace them. Haven't heard back from 1977, I wonder if Dan's on vaca. I'd gladly get those Italian models he has as long as I know it'll fit the shaft.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account