Slowness on a minarelli

my minarelli engine has started acting funny the past few days. it takes a lot longer to warm up and get up to speed now, it goes slower, and whenever it does start to accelerate too fast it immediately slows down like something is holding it back and makes a machine gun noise instead of a weedwacker sound. anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

Re: Slowness on a minarelli

Its called 4 stroking .. to much air.. or not enough air.

hmmmm....i guessed as much. what should i do to fix it? could it be weather related? it didn't start till recently and the past few days have been especially hot and humid.

Nathan,

It is mostly the humidity, it just doesn't get enough air because of the water content in the air. Wait out the heatwave, or re-jet with a smaller jet. You have a dellorto carb, and you can get smaller jets from www.mopedwarehouse.com

My new garelli is doing the same thing, I was about to order some jets from them.

could be running rich due to the heat... i have to go down two jet sizes on my vespa in the summer or it fouls plugs and runs like total shit... of course cincinnati has horribly hot humid summers...

what size jet should i get?, would taking my airbox off help?

you're asking for even more troubles if you modify a sick engine. the worst thing that could happen is you do something to mask the symptoms.. the problem still exists but is then invisible.

Mainjets control fuel flow rate at wide open throttle. Other carb systems meter fuel at lesser openings.

That could work, but it's risky... You could end up running too lean and kill it... Just get some jets and don't listen to Joe because he keeps giving out shitty advice that sounds intelligent to someone who doesn't know any better...

Yes Joe, you are right about a main jet only controlling the fuel flow at higher RPMs, but with these tiny carbs without removeable idle jets, things aren't always what they may seem...

just a question, i figured it 'd be a bad idea but i thought i'd ask.

chances are that removing the airbox completely with a stock jet will be way too much air, and shitty air at that. It's best to find out what main jet is in there now and buy the next two smaller jets for the summer heat. Start off with the next size down and see if your ped runs okay.

First thing to do though is make sure the carb and main jet that are in it now are clean and install a new plug... if it's still running sluggish, go for the new jets.

nobody rejets for weather.. cept maybe on a race track. Keep looking.

ok, i've never touched my carb before. where are the jets located? i know what they look like. and what is a plug?

evidently two people who posted on this thread rejet for weather...what do you mean joe?

evidently two people who posted on this thread rejet for weather

i've got nothing to add to what i've said .. take it or leave it.

ok then

Joew is a douche

You are a total fucking douchebag joe. Seriously. LOTS of people rejet when it's hot outside and the air is dense... People also rejet when they ride in different states with different altitudes because of air density. Why do you even post on this repair forum? Your advise is wack.

Re: Joew is a douche

hehe.. that's funny..

Crusis.. you just told someone who did major modifications to forget about jetting.. That they should "tune" by drilling holes in the air box ..

And now, on a stock bike you tell Nathan to rejet for a change in weather ?!?

I guess i do need to modify what i said about "nobody rejets for weather"

:

Nobody who knows what they are doing rejets for weather.. cept maybe on a race track.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account