removing chain links

is it possible to remove chain links myself? the chain on my '81 columbia western flyer is sagging a bit and dragging on a nut, making a horrible metal-on-metal sound. i don't own a link breaker, should i take it to a shop?

Re: removing chain links

If it's a drive chain be more careful than with the pedal chain..

removing links is no biggee .. but first find out why the chain is loose. Are wheel or sprocket adjustments at their limit? No question about it?

Lay the chain out .. stretch it and measure it's length. If it's beyond whatever's specified in the manual, it's worn out.

If you don't have a manual, chain is chain. Some number of links of such and such a chain type should be some length.

There's guides on the Net... lots of Google hits for the words worn chain measurement

And then, the chain might be OK but the sprockets are worn. That will cause a loose chain too.

"Learn about chain and sprocket wear":http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

"Measuring chain wear":http://pardo.net/bike/pic/fail-004/000.html

thanks for all that info

your welcomed ..

If you want a shorter chain, pass by a dedicated bicycle sales and service shop. They'll have chain tools/breakers for sale, maybe $10.

If they sell some kinda electric scooters as well, they may have new chain that fits yor needs. While there ask for an opinion on the situation.

Leon Swarmer /

Great answer joew.

Leon

See Ya Moped Army /

I use my bench grinder, a screwdriver and a hammer to remove chain links. Grind down the side pin and then use a thin screwdriver and hammer to remove side link.

Joe those chain breakers are meant for Bicycle chains. I know I've broken several trying to resize mopedchain, ANSI #41 and #415H have much heavier rivets, Home Depot and Lowes both have bigger heavy duty breakers meant for the heavier chains. Those little hand held ones just don't hold up.

My Opinion.

lots of people say the same.

I bought a potmetal cheapo and it survives. maybe because i'm real careful and get things lined up perfect before torquing down on it.. and this requires inordinate care because the tool's anvil isn't even perfectly square.. just a rough casting with no finish grinding.

But even on heavier chain, like #40, so far i've not had a pin that was staked so much it wouldn't come out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account