FA50 no power

So about a month ago my Suzuki started acting funny. I ordered new rings only to discover upon removal of the cylinder that the rings are fine... in fact they look brand new! I also got a new spark plug and changed the oil in the tranny.

Basically the issue with it is that it runs but has zero power. Ive cleaned the carb about 10 million times and its spotless and doesnt appear to leak. With or without the muffler it runs the same, with or without the airfilter it runs the same. All of this started after hitting a bad pothole. Any ideas about what kind of thing could cause this? Im thinking about getting a new cylinder and coil, but Im not sure that will fix it!

Re: FA50 no power

You need to do a leak down test.

This tests the case for leaky seals or cracks.

Rusty

The crank case? What is a leak down test? Did I forget to mention I dont have one of those fancy "repair manual" thing-a-ma-bobs?

P.S. bear with me here, ive never worked on any type of engine before this. i had problems getting it to run early on, but I fixed those issues on my own, but the fact that it runs but has no power really has me totally confused.

Patrick,

We better start with the basics.

How does the spark look?

It should be a fat blue spark.

Have your tried a new spark plug?

I wonder If we are getting distracted by the whole pothole thing.

It may be a concidence.

Rusty

Like I said, the plug is new, in fact the one in it when I got it was fairly new. I gapped it properly, and I am getting spark.

I took the carb apart again yesterday to check everything over and everything looks good. I can see a pinprick of light through all of the jets and the float floats. The only thing odd is that there is no gasket between the two halves of the carb, but it ran fine before without it, as long as it is clean when I assemble it I should get a good tight connection.

I looked up leak-down test. Unfortunately I dont have a compressor or one of those tester things.

should have a gasket,might not leak gas...but might suck air

someone suggested you needed new rings to cure this problem?

exactly what happened on Pothole Day .. You hit it and the bike suddenly "had zero power"?

what's that mean.. top speed? acceleration? Does the engine rev up high in neutral (or on the centerstand or whatever)?

Describe how it ran and how it now runs.

After rebuilding my carb a million times Ive decided that feul filters are def the new hot thing. Ive also decided that I should have searched through this forum before putting on new rings. After MUCH MUCH work, she runs better on one ring than she has in months! New rings are on the way!!!

I cleaned the carb again and opened a part I had never been able to open, the Needle Valve attached to the float. When I removed the brass valve peice I found bug larvae in the carb casting! This tiny area is the first place that gas enters the carb, so its the first place for trash to get caught. I got a feul filter for a lawn mower from Lowes for a few dollars, hopefully it will GREATLY improve my preformance.

I busted the first ring putting the cylinder back together, I think I had the ring turned the wrong way so that it didnt seat properly when I tapped the piston into the cylinder. I busted the second ring because I didnt realize that the two rings are different sizes. One was marked with a green dot, but I wasnt sure what that meant. I tried to put it on and it would not seat properly because it was too large for the groove! (I knew I should have ordered two sets!)

Live and learn, live and learn, I hope I will be able to ride around again soon!!!

i had a similar problem on my vespa...i saw light through the jet, but it wasn't enough. I took a can of air and shot it through for shits and giggles. fixed it. might be worth a shot.

Good on you Patrick!

There are little pins in the piston ring groove that keep the rings from rotating, make sure the ring gaps are properly aligned with the pins.

If you ordered 2 sets of rings you would have only needed 1 set but at least you would be done. :0

Rusty

Hey, I would rather spend the money than wait another 2 weeks for more rings to come in.... besides, im sure i could probably unload the other set on someone around here. ;)

Yeah keith, ive got canned air and carb cleaner, but that tricky little spot in the needle jet doesnt blow out because its a tiny hole in both directions. Geez I was really hoping those would be in TODAY!!!!

You are getting spark, BUT is the spark strong enough?? I have a coil that sparks, but it's a weak spark. I replaced it and my Jawa runs like a champ now.

If/when my ped did start with the old coil it too had little/no power. Wouldn't idle at all either, but as long as I kept the throttle 1/2 to full it ran.

Chas

What I do is get a old piece of stranded wire and take one strand to reem out the hole. Works great.

Chas

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account