1980 Motobecane Moby

Hey I own a 1980 Moby and it has run good for about 2 years but now it doesnt run worth crap. When I go to start the moped the motor rocks back and forth and pops and stuff but after it runs for awhile and I start it, it starts alittle better. It also sounds like the clutch and flywheel is rubbing or something done there is causing friction for sure. There is a sticker on the flywheel cover in french about putting some BP grease in maybe every 100km is what I could make out of it. If anyone knows what kind of grease to put in and where and if that would fix my rubbing sound problem. Also It leaks really bad out fo the carburator I have taken the carb a part twice and it is very clean and yes I out the pointy side of the float up and it leaks alot fuel throught the carb. Part of the reason is that My petcock doesn't work and I need a new one so I can stop the fuel flow. When I run the bike it will run to 30 right away and when I ride for awhilw it boggs down and sometimes it will only want to run 20-22. Then when I get it back up to 28-30 it wants to die at top speed. I don't know if a petcock would fix my problem with how it runs or if anyone has any ideas on what to do to get this thing running good again. My plan is to grease the clucth and get a petcock any other suggestions?

Re: 1980 Motobecane Moby

this sounds exactly like my 1979 moby. it does all of the above.

my 75 moby makes a clanking noise when i pedal it...but it doesn't have an engine n it at the moment, and it's all rusty, and the chain is pretty screwed up... Maybe I should ditch this project. Then again, it's a 'Road Runner' according to the side emblems.

The clutch MUST be greased! there is a fitting on the left center of the spinning pully, it is an inverted zirk..leave it to the french..lol. I just made a fitting for it by accident by removing the needle from a needle fitting for my hand held grease gun. As I looked at it it looked Exactly the same size as the fitting! it worked! It just takes aprox 2 pumps of the handle thats all it needs. Some may be expelled as you ride if you get too much in there. This is normal just wipe it off. If you do not keep this greased the engine will not move freely back and forth and as heat builds up in the mech. it will freeze in one position thus limmiting your continusioulu variable drive to one speed either limiting your top and low end. When I was growing up Mobys were the toy of choice among our group and I saw many burn out from this. I did some research and found that the dealer had a grease gun for this and when properly lubed they ran flawllessly! They should recieve aprox 2 pumps every 1,500 to 2,500 miles depending on use and conditions. Not sure about your gas problem..is there a hole in the float? This can cause it to sink and flood the carb. Petcocks are sometimes found on E-bay or mopedjunkyard.com. Good luck!

Hey Stephen thanks for the advice but I am not sure where that inverted zirk is at. When you sit on the bike is it to the right or left is it a small hole? I know it would be easier to show on a diagram or something but any help would be apreciated thanks.

I think I am going to be needing to do this greasing my clutch). I bought my bike with almost 3500 miles on it, and now I probably have about 4500. And it had clearly been sitting before I bought it. Well, Im going to go look at my manual for any more information. If I find anything out Ill post it here.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account