brake lights shut off engine

Ok Im stumped ,I know I know dont rub it in ,But my gd puch has started to annoy me and I figure what the hell maybe you guys can help PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE, I have taken just about the entire wireing harnes out of my 76PUCH MAXI trying to figure this one out all the grounds are good ,all the connections are good both brake lite switches are good ,the head lite works at idle the horn works at idle the rear running lite work at idle,all works at the same time but if I hit the brake it kills the engine Ive shut everything off hit the barake it dies,if i increase the idle on its stand to lets say2000 rpm it doesnt die decrees the idle slowly it stays running let it come down to idle it runs for 2 sec. then dies if i take the wires of the brake switches and tape them together it stays running but of course no brake lite, both brakes kill the engine Hellllllllllllllp MEEEEEEEEEEE oh and I performed surgury and took the cover of the wires looking for a short well I think that covers it if blain and joew have stopped fighting maybe you guys can heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ME

Re: brake lights shut off engine

Allen Murphy /

OK--

There is a resistor in the brake light assembly, and the engine is supposed to kill if the brake light is burned out when yoyu apply the brake.

So-you either have a bad bulb, bad connection, or the resistor is trashed inside the light socket assembly.

Al Murphy

Al I put a new bulb in it first thing ,the light lights when you hit the brakes, if I take the bulb out the engine runs till i hit the brakes,either side,I cant see why it worked fine yesterday but to day no bueno,evidently the switches work just the oposite of norm ,when the wires are taken off the switch and hooked together the lights are out ,when you break the conection they go on,also at higher rpm the engine runs with the wires apart but seems to stumble a littleput them together it goes away, all the while all the other lights are workin fine I dont see a resistor in the light assemble its very basic conections in there unless its on the strator plate in which case Its gonna sit for awile ,it just seems to me if the brake lights draw that much juice that it shuts off the motor the headlight or horn shoule shut her down also so i have to asume that everything under the fly wheel is good other than all the above the bike runs fine

See Ya Moped Army /

You've got a bad ground at the taillight.

I took the ground off sanded the connections and replaced, its grounded to the fender you dont suppose the fender has lost its ground hmmmmmm IDEA!!!!

See Ya Moped Army /

Run the ground to the coil mounting bolt instead of the fender and see if that does the trick.

hey I just came back from doing just that ,nochange still dies

keep em coming guys its drivin me nuts

this aint just me screwin with you guys I really could use a hand

Jason Luther /

check your point gap and/or timing, if it slipped the brake light may be drawing too much for your spark to keep the engine going. i know it doesnt make sense since puchs have 6 or whatever coils in the magneto, but it happens

Jason Luther /

or hows your clutch, maybe it isnt disengaging?

lol! i was thinking you were screwing with us dan!..thats really weird that the brakes makes the engine die...I really wish i had the answer to your problem dan, cuz u helped and still are helping me, and nows my chance to help u and i have no clue! lol! uhhhh!...COME ON GUYS!!

clutch is ok I was lookin at the points they look good I dont get it ive just about disected the whole wireing system,the only thing I did thats different and I didnt mention it cause it doesnt seem related is rebuild the carb which just made it run 50% better it runs great and like i said allthe other lights work while its running ,it handles that load headlite taillite horn, I take the break bulb right out hit the brake dies,put it back in dies,some time it wont die for 7or 8 seconds after i sqeeze the breaks sometime its immediate

oh and I spryed the stator components with elecronic parts cleaner and protector thinkin maybe they got gummed up crap ive done everything I guess its time for the flshlight break lit and a manual switch or well no break lite ,what do you mean officer it was just working

)(&&^&&%^%$##@()(+)_(&&&(&^$#$##@@!@!!@#%&$*^%((%^%&

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

bump your idle up

Blaine

Blaine thank god, I got the idle up about as far as i dare without cookin the trani and it still dies higher rpms on the stand keep it running but it stumbles with i just at idle I was able to count to 7 before it quit then the next try it died instantly

my wife reminded me that it got wet from a sudden cloud burst but i figured these things got to be a little water proof yes / no ?

Make sure you have not attached the black kill wire from the magneto to the brakes, this was on all usa models. The brake wires are blue with a yellow strip and a green wire. The blue/Yellow goes to the magneto.

well it still does it i had a fan blowing on it all night in the hopes something was just wet ,no luck I need ideas anyone please

Have you got another tail light assembly to try. sounds like a grounding problem some where. Or brake lever switch is some how making contact with kill switch.

I ran a seperate ground from the assembly to the coil ground ,nothin ,i disected the wireing harness looking for shorts nada, the points or condenser wouldnt afect this would it, my brain is sizzling from trying to figure this out ,all the other lights work fine hit the brakes it sucks the juice right out of the system,if i rev it on the stand it wont die when i hit the brakes but it starts to stumble

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

dan, make sure the green with black stripe from the engine is getting a good path to ground. run a ground to it to check it if you have to. it should be connected to a brown at the terminal block.

Blaine I dont know why but it now works fine but I will check that in the morning its been pretty damp around these parts lately and it could be it was moister Im gonna go through the whole thing out in the hot sun tommorrow Thanks for the tip

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account