FA50 serious gas leak

Have 2 FA50`s,80 and 87,both are having the same overflow problem,on prime position they(carb) overflow,turn to on or res,they slow down but still leak,when you ride them it`s OK,probably cause your using as much gas as is going in,tried adjusting floats,tweek it one way-no gas,the other way-overflow,these are automatic petcocks and seem to work OK,no gas when engine is off,starting to flip my wig here...HELP

Re: FA50 serious gas leak

Rusty? anybody ?

I have the same problem on my 83 fa50. I have to wait for parts to fix it but Rusty suggested a carb rebuild kit. Otherwise make sure there is no gas stuck inside the float when you adjust it.

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h3/Rustybikes/FA50/

Make sure the float needle and seat are clean also. 22.4mm

Put a rebuilt carb on,didn`t help,what parts are you going to change on yours?

I need a new petcock and air cleaner cover and filter. I think I fixed my dripping carb problem. The float is VERY touchy.

yeah... the float/float needle mechanism on these _is_ really touchy. i've cleaned things carefully and added new parts, and have still ended up with leaks. a couple of times they've gone away on their own after a couple of rides.

even a small grain of something can get into the float needle area and cause a leak. just hope it clears and clogs up your jet instead!

:K

Maybe I need to just take it out for a nice long ride,maybe it`ll clean out,just kinda afraid of a fire,cause it`ll start leaking as soon as you stop,the carb and needk=le/seat are clean,probably more of a float/level issue,must be REALLY touchy

my contribulator fabulator is huge!

how much gas does your tank hold

Shit man I still don't know. Last time I filled up I forgot to pay attention and I'm a long way from an empty tank.

ya got me curios ive googled everything about fa50 sice you asked

I think it holds 3 liters

Thanks, I'll find out for sure in a couple days. I doubt anyone else cares but I'll post it anyway when I fill up.

I got a good petcock for ya $15 shipped, and a carb great shape but no idle screw-$20 shipped. Let me know. Sorry no airbox

Thats a really good deal! I should've asked you before I ordered a new $47.00 petcock.

The airbox is definitely a part that must be original. Mine barely runs without the original airbox and filter. I'm only mentioning this because people usually substitute this on other bikes if theirs is missing. It doesn't seem to work with FA50's.

ya I need these fa50's gone I have no room for them. Cheap parts, or I just listed the pair of them for 100 on buy/sell, but they gotta go! Arent the petcocks supposedly discontinued? Where did you find one?

Bikebandit.com had them listed but after I ordered it they said they had to track one down from another warehouse or something. Thats the only place I saw one. All the ebay listings for parts from these look like mostly junk.

need anything for your fa50?

For $20 I might need a carburator. I wont know until my other parts come in though. I should know within the next week or so depending on how fast my other parts get here. If I can get this bike running I'll need a lot of random things like light covers, rubber footrests, good shape seat...would you happen to have the white plastic piece that covers the carb and oil pump thats always broken off?

nope, mines gone too. No footpegs, light covers, I do have a seat that has a few rips, but it's decent. Let me know on the carb b/c I'm trying to get rid of these fast. They'll probobly be gone in 2-3 days. But FA50 carbs are pretty easy to come by, there's always a couple on ebay.

Still haven`t figured out my gas leak,vacuum assisted petcock shouldn`t allow gas through unless engine is running,but mine will leak in either position,on or res.with the engine off,if I pull the line off the carb it shuts off,don`t get it...

I don't think the petcock is the problem. I'm pretty sure the float needs to be adjusted or the carb rebuilt. Was the carb really dirty on the inside?

No carb was spotless,just keeps overflowing,if I tweek it a bit the other way...no fuel

Well I guess for $15.00 it can't hurt to take huffypuffy's petcock and see if that is the problem. I just don't see how that could be broken if it still moves. I had to adjust the float in my carburatot over 20 times to get it to stop leaking. I think it still has a slow leak.

you know that if you have the petcock set on PRI or whatever that it will continually flow gas into carb even after bowl is full and it will overflow right? It's supposed to do that, thats what the sticker on my fa50 says to "dont leave valve in prime position"

yep,aware of that,but thanks

I have to disagree, a properly working carb will NOT overflow with the petcock in "PRI" position. If it overflows, you've got a problem. Andy, have you removed the float and checked it for leaks? Shake it a bit, and you'll hear sloshing inside if its leaking. Or submerse it in liquid and watch for bubbles. I had a serious leak problem on my FA50, and it was the float, the sides had gotten seriously banged in, and it wasn't buoyant enough anymore. If that's not it...you probably have a damaged needle/seat. Also, with the new float in my carb, it is NOT touchy, I can move it a LOT up or down with no leak problems, just slight performance differences. Just set it at the specified height, and you'll be good.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account