Another Solex with no spark

Dave Peterson /

I think it is the ignition coil and have written to Briansolex directly. Anyone have a new or good used Solex coil? Info off the coil: S.E.V. Marchal #384

Thanks, Skipjaz

Re: Another Solex with no spark

Are you sure the points are clean, and it is timed correctly. That was the problem with mine. I thought it was more serious too.

Dave, I've sent this info directly to you, but this is for anybody else that's following along or has similar problem.

With a digital meter set on the 200K scale, put one test lead on the little wire that comes out of the coil and one test lead on the brass tab on the rear of the coil. A good coil will read about 2.7. If it reads 0 it is bad. If it reads around 7 to 9, it is bad.

Try testing the coil using the method described here under February 6th:

http://www.weronika.freeserve.co.uk/news-feb2006.html

Jean-Sebastien might have a coil:

<solex@sympatico.ca>

ps the #384 on your coil is just a batch number, not a part #.

Dan,

Any luck getting your 4600 to run properly?

1152761856_1978_4600_v3__small.jpg

Dave Peterson /

I took my coil to a friend at a local motorcycle shop and he tested it with a coil tester. It tested fine, so he told me to go back and take a closer look at everything. The fiber washer under the points was missing, luckily I save all my old parts and found it on the old set of point. I installed it on the new set of points and now I have a nice blue spark. I hope to run this Solex after work today.

Thanks for the help and words of encouragement, Skipjaz

Hi Brian, I havent had the time to work on it yet, but hoping to check it out this weekend. I'll let you know.

Dan

Excellent! Keep us updated.

Dave Peterson /

I got the Solex running, but it took awhile. When I first tried it with good spark, it would not run, but the cylinder was warm.I removed the muffler and it ran. Now I am in the market for a muffler. Skipjaz

Mufflers are scarce over here at the moment.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account