77 or 78 sears free spirit

So I have a problem. I picked up a 78 sears free spirit for free about 6 years ago. we cleaned the carb and it ran for a day. after that day i put it away and just recently tried it again but it didn't work. i tried the carb again and that didn't work. i now have replaced the spark plug and that didn't work. so I am lost... i get on it and get a running start and hold in the clutch and as long as i have my hand on the clutch it sounds like it's turning over yet there is no power and the only reason it is turning over is because the moped is moving and as soon as it stops moving there's nothing. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Re: 77 or 78 sears free spirit

See Ya Moped Army /

Clean the points, clean the carb and fuel petcock.

points?

I have browsed the images of "points" for sale and i don't see those on my moped anywhere.

On the left side of the motor there is a large round cover, which might say puch on it. Under it is the flywheel, the points are under the flywheel but you should be able to get to them without removing it.

Grey

thanks so much this will be my only mode of transportation if i get it fixed, I am determined.

the points looked clean i opened it up and checked them. the carb was cleaned before i ever tried to start it up again. . this didn't help either. if it is sounding like it is gonna start but only doing so when the wheels are moving could it be electrical? could it be that i need to replace the tension coil or spark plug wire?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account