shortening brake cables?

i need to shorten the cabled on the moped. at each end there is a small piece of metal the shape of a cylinder which latches into the brake mechanism. How do I cut the cables to shorten them if im going to lose the small metal piece at the end?

Re: shortening brake cables?

I'm working on this problem right now a guy who makes cables said you don't need the end cap ultimatly but i don't know if i belive him. I bought some inner cables and just in stalled the longer cable into my older housing and cut the inner cable to length, and am about to solder on the proper end he also sold me.Oh if you cut the cable outer housing it will crush, and you can't get the inner cable into it the inner housing is spiral metal "steel surrounded buy rubber" he did have end caps you were supposed to crimp on with some special tool i was going to just put it on loose and slightly clamp it. but just decided to use my original housing instead.HTH.jim

Nevermind, I just finished the job. It was easy. Cut the outer housing with the dreme so it didnt crush. As for the barrels on the end of the cables, if you go to ACE hardware they have a barrel type of thing with a hole in it for the cable and then on one end there is a screw which binds the cable inside the barrel. I remplaced the screw with set screws so I could get them tighter and...bassically that was it. Piece of cake once you find the right parts.

Make sure you put some red loctite on that screw, or something! You DO NOT want that thing vibrating apart when your going down the street and need to stop!

yes i do!

i gotta agree that a screw is kinda lame.. it's ok for the throttle, but brakes?

silver solder..

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account