grande pops and stops running

I was on my way home tonight when my grande made a loud pop sound about a dozen times. When it popped I lost power. Then, I came to a stop sign and it stalled out. I took out the plug and it looked fine, so I started it back up and the rest of the ride was normal, though I did baby it a bit. What could have caused this? I am concerned that there is a serious problem, but don't want to jump to conclusions.

Re: grande pops and stops running

hmmm, were you losing spark? Hopefully it's not the headgasket problem I used to have.

What did you have to do to fix it?

Oh, I don't know if I was loosing spark or not...how would I tell?

Was it popping like it was turning off?

I went to an engine shop and had the head and the cylinder milled to straighten them out. I also made my own headgasket out of some copper sheeting. Though I doubt this is your problem, you should look in that area and see if you can find any residue leaking out.

I was making a sound sort of like opening a bottle of champagne...I think I may be misunderstanding your question.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Check to see if the airbox on the carb popped off.

points,fouled plug?

OK, is this sound backfiring? I'm having trouble imagining what it sounds like.

Bruce, good point about the airbox. I used to have a devil of a time keeping mine on. I put real hose clamps on both of mine and I have no worrys anymore.

It defanitly wasn't backfiring, it was like a pop in the engine it'self...I checked the plug last ngiht and it looked fine...I'm going to check the points today...it was a pretty jarring sound to hear coming out of my ped.

hmmm... I would check a bunch of things, like the decompression valve, as well as the case, base and head gasket for no residue. I'm under the impression that your carb and filter are a ok because they are still new.

did u run over rocks... cause if u get some rocks say the size of a quarter under ur wheel they will like pop out and it kind of sounds like shampain....my fulosify if it starts back up and it never does it agen... take it for the same run... then it was a fluke thing moped engines dont cost much to fix and i doesn sound terible

I was riding it today and it made the sound again. It definitly came from the engine. I changed the plug, and lightened up the connection between the plug cap and the coil, and it seems to be fine now. I guess I'll have to wait and see if it comes back. I did change to a hotter plug (just because that's what I had) and that may have been the problem.

puh

puh?

yeah, puh!

I don't know what that means...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account