Help: Puch brake lights

(Casserollers) Gregory B. /

Thanks for checking out my post.

I'm having problems getting my brake lights to work.

My running light works fine but when I squeeze my brakes, they don't turn on.

I made sure that the connections are correct on the handle, but they still don't work. The bulbs are brand new.

Any advice?

On my other moped, when I plug in the brake wires, the brake light stays on.

Any advice for that too?

Thanks!

Gregory

Re: Help: Puch brake lights

Ben Van Zoest /

Perhaps corroded switches, did you do a continuity check end to end?

I have just the opposite problem. My brake light works fine but won't light unless I apply the brake.

I _think_ it's a problem with the bulb itself. I haven't looked into it as much as I should but the bulb might be a double filament bulb, one of which is blown.

Did you replace the old bulb with a new single filament bulb?

Matthew Libhart /

Take the wires off the lever. The switch that they connect to (that the two prongs come out of) will easily screw out of the lever assembly. Get a multimeter and test each switch. When the button is pushed in the switch should be open (no continuity, infinite resistance), when you let the button out, the resistance should go to near 0. If this is not the case (probably when you let the button out you'll still see infinite resistance), you need new switches.

I recently worked on a Puch and both of these switches were bad. mopedwarehouse.com has these for $9 each. If you need new ones pick up a new boot for each as well for an extra $2.

if you pull the brake lever then reach in and flick the little button so it snaps out and do it a couple of times it seems to make them work again at least on mine anyway

Just so you know i do believe that this post is the one that jinxed my brakes

Blaine- The artist formerly known as Plumber Crack "(OFMC)" /

jeff. i'm not sure what you said.

"I have just the opposite problem. My brake light works fine but won’t light unless I apply the brake. "

?

Your best bet is to check the voltage at the bulb socket using a volt meter. Remove bulb, ground one end, touch contact inside the socket. Use the AC voltage scale unless your model has a battery then use DC. should read 6v AC or battey voltage when brake is activated. If non voltage remove wires from brake swich, one should have voltage. If so the switch is probably bad, if not a problem with the connection from the battery or magneto.

first check the wiring at the terminal block take a test light and start the bike now whil holding the brakes test the blue wire. if it has voltage there when you squeese the handle theres nothing wrong with your switches. when you let them go the test light should turn off. if there is power there take of tail light and inspect the terminals and do the same check you can tape the lever down to make it easier.if power comes there check the ground and then inspect the bulb socket.

DANIEL

Matthew Libhart /

I'm with Blaine.

"My brake light works fine but won’t light unless I apply the brake"

Isn't that the point of a brake light, to light when the brake is applied?

take the wires off the brake switch andsee if they come on if they do the switch is bad, I hope by replying to this my brakes will start working again

Nor Cal Mopeds /

just ditch the switch

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account