Removing a stripped Motobecane flywheel

Has anyone sucessfully removed a Motobecane flywheel when the square 3/8" is stripped? Any tips?>

Re: Removing a stripped Motobecane flywheel

Yeah! Get a dremmel or a cutting tool capable of chewing up some hardened steel, and cut two parallel slices out of the circular nut, making your circle look more like the outling of a pill capsule.

Then just take a pair of channel locks, or a similar tool, and give that thing a clockwise twist.

Or do this.

Get a metal blade for a sawsall. cut a groove in the flywheel nut from the center outward (a dremmel would probably work better, but use what you got). Make it at an angle so you can put the tip of a chisel, or huge ass screw driver into the groove you just made. Whack the chisel in the groove with a hammer until it comes loose.

P.s. Bret's solution sounds prettier then mine. but if it is really really stuck, then my solution provides more power I think. Use heat from a butane torch to prime the metal

See Ya Moped Army /

I use Dan's technique. Worked everytime for me.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

i got pissed at one and took and angle grinder and took the whole damn nut off. once it was off the threaded piece was like "dude you mean business" and came right off. i tosed a new magneto nut on thier and its been smooth sailing since. as an added bonus, someone was down at the shop when all of this happened and got a couple of awsome photos of me man-handling this bike.

Heat is definetly a good idea. I love my torch.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

map gas is the best invention ever (only because i dont have an oxy-acetylene torch)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account