Puch E50 Magnito help

I got this bike in a trade, Maxi w/E50, the E50 has been rebuilt and I got a new Magneto with it. The old one that came off it is on the right, new one on the left. They are different, new one has more wires, and the points don't seem to touch the shaft.Will this work on my E50?I have wiring diag., and pages from MRA repair section on a 1980 Maxi, and it does not have the same color wires as mines does either. I am getting very confused on how to install this bugger.

1150641745_puch_maxi_help.jpg

Re: Puch E50 Magnito help

Crap, New one othe right, Old on the Left, sorry.

i could use teh same help too.

Smitty Smith /

The one on the left doesn't look like a Puch magneto.

The points ride on the cam lobe inside of the flywheel, not on the crankshaft.

I hope this helps.

Smitty

www.smcmopeds.com

See Ya Moped Army /

The left one is definitely not a Puch stator. I've seen hundreds of them and none have looked like that one.

OK, So the top photo w/the stator on the motor is not the right one?

Nor Cal Mopeds /

it looks different for sure

The photo on the left is from an older bike ( there are 3 wires grey/tan, yellow, yellow & red) the other is from a newer bike ( yellow, green, blue/green, blue )

Both will work in a puch the older set-up split a million different ways when it got up to your handlebars. I have one on my rigid (what a cable nightmare that was till i trimmed it down)

Like smitty said there is a lobe on the flywheel that opens and closed the points as the engine rotates. I noticed that there is no woodruff key on the crank shaft. If you have one don't forget to put it back before putting the flywheel on. If you don't have one get one... It keeps the orientation of the flywheel in sink with the spark timing.

OK, great, yes it is a 1975 Maxi, and got the stator with the bike. So I guess I kinda need to wire it in the new way that they are laid out?

Ok, I looked at the MRA page again. The manual they have shows different colors for diff wires then what is on my new one. I just need to know what color goes where. Any help would be great. I am getting the repair manual from Harold sometime, just not sure when.

Funny this should come up.

I just did this exact replacement last night. I have an 86 maxi and I could not get it to spark, and the reason I suspected is because of this little resistor looking box that was busted on my bike. So, I switched stator plates with one from a 78, and wired it up like a 78, and it sparks nice and bright blue. It switched right over, no problem.

Well my wiring is in shambles really, and I have never done one before. Gonna take some work for me to figure this mess out.

Well the simplest way to hook up a puch's wiring to get it to spark is...

Take the blue wire and plug it into the coil. Ground every single other wire coming from your engine. Also make sure that your coil is also grounded.

The easiest way to tackle wiring a bike is to take it step by step. Always remember that anything you plan on sending power to needs a ground as well. Look at and try to understand the wiring diagram for the bike. It always helped me to trace the wires path to figure out what was going on. Once you understand how the electrical works on the bike everything will fall into place.

Great, I think that will help me alot.

OK, wow went through a lot with this thing and decided to keep it after trying to sell on here and ebay. I got a good carb, new petcock, stator, I can NOT get a spark now. Here is how I have it wired up, any help would be great.

1154224938_puch_maxi_help4.jpg

all those wires will have to be grounded . you hooked up the blue correctly the brown 1 going to the terminal block it pointless hook all those wires to it and then turn it over. if you have spark then you start wireing everything else like lights horn etc.

Why do you think the stator on the bike is bad ,you going by someone elses diagnosis ,bad move put the original back on the bike and and see for your self ,nor cal mopeds that stator on the bike looks identical to the one on my 76 maxi

OK, it started thanks Daniel, it worked doing it the way you suggested. Now looks like someone did some creative wiring on this thing. I will have many question on getting it to work. I know there has to be a simple ywa to do it. Thanks everyone that got this started.

Nor Cal Mopeds /

also, check your points and adjust them, so they open at the right time

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account