Re: Suzuki FA50 PROBLEMS

I made an observance today my FA50 Suzuki is overcharging my battery when i rev up past approx 4000 rpm the voltmeter read 13 volts at the point that the motor starts to cut out approaching WOT this problem is i presume the reason why both the taillight, headlight, and all the other bulbs are blown out. It is a presumption that the ignition system (CDI) is malfunctioning because of the over voltage fed to it at 4000 rpm and up, regardless of whether it is related to the drivability problem or not it must be repaired before going forward with the diagnosis of the WOT performance lag. I am now acquiring a voltage regulator and CDI box to attempt to address the voltage requirement issue that appears to be the primary issue as of now

report back after I receive the electrical parts and install and test drive

Later

I know this is an old thread however I may be able to add important information in regards to the bogging down issue above 4000 RPM check the output voltage to the positive terminal of the battery at the highest attainable RPM if the voltage exceeds 8 volts the CDI ignition system is overloading and most likely malfunctioning at higher RPM. Suzuki electrical components have shown in the past bite the big one. Replace the voltage regulator. I will let you knowhow I made out after installing a new CDI box and voltage regulator.

does it mean my fa is bogging down when i get to 25 and give it more throttle i can feel the engine revving but i do not go faster and when i go down hills and would normally go faster than 25 i go the same speed that i would go uphill. it feels like something is restricting it. could it be the intake manifold? should i port it?

It probably has the same problem My bike had it needs a voltage regulator or voltage rectifier, take the battery out and with a voltmeter attached it to the positive and negitive battery wires start the bike and take note of the readings idle it should be 5-6 volts, when reving the bike up to as high as it will go the voltage should not go much higher than 7-8 volts if it goes to 10 or even 12 like my bike did it will cause the CDI or Capacitor discharge ignition box to malfuction and could become permanantly damaged replace the voltage rectifier and maybe the CDI box as well , replace the voltage rectifier first you may not need the CDI.

Good luck

When I push the choke at 25mph it pulls a little to 34mph on flats.

I think the compression is weak like 30psi first kick, and then 90 on the 5th kick.

It has 7000 miles.

I should do the rings.

I new a guy who ran a snowmobile shop he said in regards to 2 cycle engines compression check if the compression is less than 100 psi do the rings, however the compression ration for these machines may be different than a snowmobile I would consult a service center for more info also check the voltage to the coil and CDI if the voltage values are not within the parameters which are between 6-8 volts this may deprive the ignition system of its ability to keep up with a higher fuel delivery at higher rpm

so when testing for compression you want to kick over a few times to get the actual value right? or should it be 130 starting off the first pass of the piston.

I get 30psi and it has 7000 miles.

it is my friends.

I should do the rings, huh?????????

I'm not sure i think it's the final psi that counts, once you've kicked it a few times. But i think 90 is a bit low, i'm not sure what i's supposed to be on Fa5's but my puch gets 150

90 lbs is low even after 5 kicks make sure the engine is warm.

Also I was on another moped tech assistance blog and the guy who owned one of these FA50's said the crank case leaks vacuum and affects WOT top end performance, if you are able do the crank seals while you are doing the rings, this of course is easier said than done it is a fairly big job.

Thanks about the crank case leaks.

what do you use to find your psi?

I used a compression tester for cars. Same thing.

You know I was thinking about the tech advise I got about the vacuum leaks through the case affecting internal vacuum pressure in 2 strokes, the only other places were leaks occur are through the crankshaft seals or cylinder jug gasket, crank seals are a pain in the ass to do, and it is not easy to check for a deficit in vacuum pressure on these little 2 strokes.

I have discovered most of the problem, the air filter element was allowing to much air to pass relative to gas (air fuel ratio) I doubled up on the air cleaner element and achieved a higher top end rpm touchy little beeaach

Kinda hard to do a thorough 1 hr test drive when it's 15 degrees outside but it is running better in the short runs.

Try doubling upon the aircleaner I got higher top end

Anyone ever remove their fuel tank? I have a blocked line somewhere between the fuel tank and fuel cock so I need to lift out the tank. Maybe I'm missing something that is obvious, but the black plastic plate under the seat is attached to the fuel tank at the fuel cap thread.

Pull it off, slowly and real hard. It will come off.

Then take out the two white filters that stuck into the plastic tank and blow them out with air.

Loosen the screws on the petcock in case you pull of the hoses from the top.

Putting the hoses back on the tank is so freakin hard because you have to squish your hand to do it, if they are still connected to the petcock.

Remember which one is top hose so you do not have to trace a hose.

I solved this problem however hoaky it may be. I had the bike up on the stand and noticed that while giving WOT and simutaneously partially covering the air cleaner hole the rpm went way up. I have been down all the roads larger jet smaller jet, replace intake gasket , checked fuel flow to carb checked plug , compression etc. the bitch woudn't tac out until now. I obstructed the air cleaner hole by about a third and guess what it works. I suspect the case is leaking vacuum or the crank seals. I ain't f...in with all that shit it works fine the way it is now why would I bother, the plug is tan I get power and WOT performance out of the little shit.

my fx50 does 29 stock. I made a 14mm hole in air box where fake inlet is, and left the two holes to plug / tune the box if needed. (runs best open, the holes help make up for the air filter restriction). I ported the intake, jetted main 2 drill sizes and pilot 1, needle maxed, removed tiny tube from muffler that went to baffle in back of muffler, and welded in a 1" tube outlet, not connected to baffle... I can now pull real hard and keep up with traffic, no lean or rich, just pulls nice. yet I still can only go 31. so I gained 2mph. I am assuming that the inlet in head is restricted, or the cdi retards timing at hi revs.... the exhaust port is clean yet kinda small, it is oval, but i cant stick mi index finger in, so it seems while all my mods made it run like a top, and a lot snappier throttle, has anybody broken 31 / 33 with the wind behind you with out porting the head?

This is a 10 year old thread .

You have a scooter that would be much better served on a scooter site than a dedicated moped site .

Dirty30 Dillon /

FA50/FZ50 are definitely moped/noped, not scooter.

> Dirty30 Dillon Wrote:

> -------------------------------------------------------

> FA50/FZ50 are definitely moped/noped, not scooter.

If you read his post , you should note that he typed FX 50 . ;)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account