Vespa Ciao clutch slipping?

I have a Vespa Ciao that has a little trouble when any gas is given. It tends to rev quite a bit unless I slowly give it gas up to full throttle--very finicky. It runs well besides the reving. Could the clutch be slipping? Would new clutch springs help out? They seem to be a tad bit rusty and lacking a little spring action. The shoes have plenty of pad left to them...I roughed them up with a little emery paper, but still no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Cheers,

Brennen

Re: Vespa Ciao clutch slipping?

Smitty Smith /

Is your belt stretched?

Bruce Wilkinson /

The springs pull the starter shoes away from the drum, so weak springs would not cause slipping. Maybe the starter shoes are worn down so they do not make good enough contact with the drum. Clean the surface of the starter shoes and drum with emery paper. You may have some oil or glaze on them. Check your email. bruce

Bruce Wilkinson /

Sorry Brennen, brain check on my part. I see that you have already done what I suggested. You can loosen the engine mounts and muffler and pull the engine forward to tighten the belt. Don;t over do it. Too tight will cause the motor to work harder.

I have new main clutch shoes w/springs if you need a set. Also vbelts.

zippymoped@yahoo.com

Bruce's suggestion worked. Thanks agian.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account