Tomos Carb/Oil question

OK. So I got my moped, a brand new 05 Arrow, and I ride it for fourty miles (or so) on the stock 2-cycle oil. I'm using the injector, which I have no plans to remove. Around 40 miles, I fill the oil tank up. The engine starts crapping out. It idled fine, but then when you gave it any throttle, it died. I cleaned the carb out, and it's great... For another 30 miles. And now, the same thing is happening.

My question is, what could cause the carb to get clogged so fast? COuld an incorrect type of oil be doing this?

Also, if I take the carb completly off and let it sit in some gasoline overnight, will that clean it, or will it destroy it? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't want to do it blind.

Also, I'm not removing the injector untill the warranty is up. So don't suggest it, please.

--Scott

Re: Tomos Carb/Oil question

See Ya Moped Army /

The injector could be faulty, injecting too much oil. I recently acquired a 2001 Tomos Targa LX that had the very same problem. It was injecting way too much oil and the bike would idle, but not accelerate since the amount of oil injected increased the faster the flywheel turned.

I know you don't want to hear it, but the injector is the achilles heal of the Tomos moped.

What kind of oil are you using?

I understand that Tomo recommends putting pre-mix in the first tank of gas in order to give the injector system time to fill up. Have you checked the oil lines to the injector?

Well, it turns out I am removing it. I went to look at it, and there were bubbles in the line, and the pump was covered in oil. Blue oil. On the outside.

One of the bolts on the oil pump was stripped. How does one go about removing a stripped bolt?

--Scott

John Joedicke /

Hello.......you have a warrenty. Have the dealer fix it. take it off and kiss goodby any goodwill from who you b ought it. Now if they remove it, then it is on them if anything else happens. Wake up!

The nearest Tomos dealer is in madison, WI. I'm in minneapolis. I don't have time for that.

--Scott

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account