Yamaha QT50 questions

my qt50 is pissing fuel, i think i need a new petcock because even when i switch it off it still trickles. when i turn my fuel on tho, its dumping out the bottom. any ideas what is goin on here?

i couple more questions, where can i get an air filter for the QT50, as well as a good spot to get any other parts that i might need. and is there a manual on line that i can download for it?

thanks,

Re: Yamaha QT50 questions

"there's a couple QT50 manuals on this page":http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

could be the petcock or maybe a hose or a connection.. or the threaded parts of the tank or valve..

Remove all fuel, clean everything.

Determine exactly where the leak is. Add a little fuel. Look for where the very first drop appears.

the gas is pouring ou of a hose thast on the bottom of the carb. i believe that its a overflow hose.

it's always good practice to have an in-line valve and just leave the tank valve on. i'm almost positive that you have a problem in the carb, whether it is dirty or worn out parts, the float valve probably isn't seating properly. if you have a few extra bucks search for a keyster carb kit on ebay. what you will get will be the internal parts that are likely to wear out. they last a long time, as does that particular moped. it's a great moped. i am assuming that it is leaking from the carb overflow.

thanks ed.

is ebay the best place to get parts for this bike? are there any stores online that have parts that you know of?

Mike Monigold /

www.yamahapartslogo.com

do i need a special type of transmission fluid for this?

i couldnt get that url to work either

theres a screw at the bottom of the carb

its probly loose tightn it and u should be leak free

Mike Monigold /

My stupidity..........

www.yamahapartstogo.com

Try that one!

thanks matt, that screw on the carb worked wonders. artman, thanks for the website too.

a few more questions,

1. should the fuel line be full up with fuel? right now it gets full right at the bottom by the intake of the carb, the rest fo the tube is kinda empty. i got a new fuel filter today and it seems ot be doing a better job than the old one, but i may have to trim the hose down to give it more of a straight shot in. im also trying to get a new petcock.

2. i dont have a battery in right now, but its getting acid added tomorrow and should be in tomorrow, that said, i dont knwo if i am geting a lot of electricity comming out of the magneto. as i get my engine moving, my blinkers will start working, but right now they wont come on while im idleing. will the battery help this? or should i look into a new magneto.

3. seeing how stopping is just as important as going, i think am going to need to get some new breaks. i am goint o take off the wheels and check out the shoes tomorrow. will it be obvious if they are shot?

thanks for the help so far, im psyched about this ped.

for the gas it should be full or nearly full but it dosent really matter take the petcock off and there should be little filters either take em off or clean them off and ti should work better

battery is for blinkers while idling or going slow so yeah a new one will help no need for a new magneto my bike has 17000 miles on the stock one

breaks just get new ones and b done with it thir easy to change

this bike is capable of a crusing speed of 33 with some mods ie air box exhaust

im gettin 30 right now on mine, assuming the speedo is accurate, ill have to clock it one of these days.

hopefuly my breaks will come in early next week, iv only been riding up and down my street so far cause i really have almost no breaks. i prolly shouldnt be riding it at all.

how many parts does the QT50 share with the PW50. are the engines and carburators similar and interchangeble?

Yes, the engines are interchangeable, the carbs as well if you use the top part of the QT carb. A Yamaha dealer can also get you a brand spankin' new QT carb. The only engine difference is that the magneto wire plugs changed on the later model PW50's. You can splice your old magneto plug to the new w/o too much trouble though.

so a dealer would be able to ge me a float kit too than? i think i might need one, as well as possibly the gaskets for the engine. i may take it apart to clean it out, and i figgure i might as well get new gaskets for it if i do.

They should have, yes. If you don't have a dealer nearby, try this link:

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/parts/default.aspx

What modifications did you have in mind? Mine goes 32 mph... I drilled a 3/8" hole in my air filter housing.

I've had good success with Bikebandit.com. Nearly all the QT50 parts for any year are on their website.

I have a manual on CD available for $15.

there is a repair & shop manual here http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2

(thx joew)

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account